Doug Robbins

If the fields that you want to include in the merge are spread across a
number of tables, you will have to use a Select query in Access to bring
them all together in the one place. Then in Word, you would use that query
as the data source.

You would have to tell us what version of Word you are using to give more
specific advice. However, if you are using XP of later, I would suggest
that you select Toolbars from the View menu and then check the Mailmerge
item so that the Mailmerge toolbar is displayed. That toolbar has buttons
on it for everything that you need and judging by the problems that people
using the wizard have, it is probably easier to use.

I have never used the wizard so I don't have a problem with it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"CAD Fiend" wrote in message
Hello,

I am looking for a good book or tutorial that gives a good step-by-step
process on merging fields from an Access database into a Word doc. The
database itself has about 50-60 fields spanning 5-6 tables inside the same
file, but the word doc will only use about 20 fields including the usual
name, address, phone info as well other fields such as property tract
info, proposed dollar amounts, etc.

My proficiency of Word to between beginner and intermediate, and my Access
to be between intermediate to slightly advanced.

TIA.

Charles Kenyon

On the Word side, take a look at the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebre....htm#mailmerge and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Mailmerge.htm. There is a part on using Access as
a data source at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm.
Hope this helps.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"CAD Fiend" wrote in message
Hello,

I am looking for a good book or tutorial that gives a good step-by-step
process on merging fields from an Access database into a Word doc. The
database itself has about 50-60 fields spanning 5-6 tables inside the
same file, but the word doc will only use about 20 fields including the
usual name, address, phone info as well other fields such as property
tract info, proposed dollar amounts, etc.

My proficiency of Word to between beginner and intermediate, and my
Access to be between intermediate to slightly advanced.

TIA.

CAD Fiend

Doug Robbins wrote:

If the fields that you want to include in the merge are spread across a
number of tables, you will have to use a Select query in Access to bring
them all together in the one place. Then in Word, you would use that query
as the data source.

You would have to tell us what version of Word you are using to give more
specific advice. However, if you are using XP of later, I would suggest
that you select Toolbars from the View menu and then check the Mailmerge
item so that the Mailmerge toolbar is displayed. That toolbar has buttons
on it for everything that you need and judging by the problems that people
using the wizard have, it is probably easier to use.

I have never used the wizard so I don't have a problem with it.

Doug,

Good point. I am using Office Pro 2002 (which has both Access and
Word), and I DO have that toolbar. I will take a look at it and check
it out.
CAD Fiend

Charles Kenyon wrote:

On the Word side, take a look at the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebre....htm#mailmerge and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Mailmerge.htm. There is a part on using Access as
a data source at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm.
Hope this helps.

Charles,

I will check these out.

Thanks!

CAD Fiend

Doug Robbins wrote:

If the fields that you want to include in the merge are spread across a
number of tables, you will have to use a Select query in Access to bring
them all together in the one place. Then in Word, you would use that query
as the data source.

You would have to tell us what version of Word you are using to give more
specific advice. However, if you are using XP of later, I would suggest
that you select Toolbars from the View menu and then check the Mailmerge
item so that the Mailmerge toolbar is displayed. That toolbar has buttons
on it for everything that you need and judging by the problems that people
using the wizard have, it is probably easier to use.

I have never used the wizard so I don't have a problem with it.

Doug,

Good point, I forgot to mention that info. I am using Office Pro 2002,
which also has Access. I see the toolbar that you mentioned, now in my
Word app and will check it out.

Thanks for your help.