Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
M Skabialka

Default Can I copy the contents of a totals field to another location?

I was sent a word document with a table in it where there are several rows,
with a description and a $ cost column. At the bottom is a total of these
rows. There is a formula in it {=SUM(ABOVE) $#,##0.00;($#,##0.00)}. If I
change a value, right click and select Update Field, the total changes to
the correct new value.

I would like to know how this was created, but more importantly, I'd like to
take the result of this formula and place it somewhere else in the document.

e.g.
The total cost for this trip will be $xxxx.xx. where $xxxx.xx pulls from
the table on the previous page where the =SUM(ABOVE) formula is.

I had thought trying to insert a field and saying =fieldname but the totals
field doen't seem to have a name, nor can I think of a way of giving it one.

I'm new to working formulas in Word, can someone clue me in here please?

Thanks,
Mich

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier

I would like to know how this was created,
While in a table, you can use the Table menu to get to the formula
field. A dialog box will display. If there are numbers in the column
above where you are putting the formula, =Sum(Above) will
automatically be filled in. The remainder of the field is a number
format, for how the user wants to have results displayed.

take the result of this formula and place it somewhere else in the
document.

The easiest way to do that, is to select the formula value in your
table and bookmark it. Then later in your document you can
cross-reference to the bookmark text.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"M Skabialka" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
M Skabialka

Thank-you, I was thinking fieldname when I should have been thinking
bookmark! Too much work in Access and other databases!

Thanks, I was able to solve the problem!
Mich

"Dawn Crosier" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod

Hi Mich,

To see how formula fields can be created and used for this and a wide range
of other calculations in Word, check
out my Word Field Maths 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442

Cheers