Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John S

Default Openning documents in Word from Sharepoint

If you click on a link to a .doc on an ordinary Web site using IE6 you get a
dialog box asking if you want to open, Save or Cancel. Clicking Open displays
the document in a sort of Word browser.

Do the same thing from a Sharepoint site and you get a dialog box warning
that some remote files may be dangerous but clicking OK opens the document in
Word and lets you edit the original file in it's original location.

Try openning a .rtf document from within Sharepoint and you get the same
action as from an ordinary web site as in the top paragraph.

How can I change things to force Word to open .rtf and other files from
within Sharepoint, the same way that it does for .docs?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bdog_jdog

John,
This is handled by the DOCICON.XML file in the C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\template\xml directory.

find the .rtf extension in the ByExtension area, then copy the
EditText and OpenControl parameters from DOC's entry, so you get:
Mapping Key="rtf" Value="icrtf.gif" EditText="Microsoft Office Word"
OpenControl="SharePoint.OpenDocuments"/

Then, do an iisreset, and Word will now open the RTF's and you can edit
them just as you would a DOC.

You could also, in that same line, change the EditText to say
"Microsoft Office Word (RTF)", so the pulldown says "Open in Microsoft
Office Word (RTF)", for a reminder of the file format, and/or change
the document icon to the Word icon, so it doesn't look different.

Also, note that this only works because Word can open an .rtf. Check
the ByProgID section. So, basically, if Word can open a file type,
you can map the extension to be handled by Word. Compare entries in
ByExtension and ByProgID and you'll see how that works.

Ben

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John S

That's what I thought so I did that but it doesn't make any difference.

However I think I've just solved it.

You have to add an entry into the htmltransinfo.xml file as well. (In the
same folder)

Thanks for making me re-look at things.

"bdog_jdog" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bdog_jdog

John--sure about that? I didn't have to do an edit to
htmltransinfo.XML, and I have no such entry for .rtf's and it's working
great on my system.

Did you do an iisreset?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John S

I'm pretty sure but I'll check again on a virtual Machine I have for
development. However it will be a few days as my machine would boot this
morning - the hard disk has crashed! Just hope I've got everything backed up!