Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wallace

Default An Urban Legend?

I am a strong proponent of Track Changes in Word 2003. Recently a coworker
told me that despite saving to a new filename and accepting all changes in
the document, some sophisticated software is still capable of detecting the
insertions, deletions, and comments made in earlier versions of the document.
He says the problem is so acute that the Department of Justice no longer uses
Word for fear that some nefarious types could ID the changes DOJ lawyers
made in docs they circulate. He now saves his Word docs to a rich text file,
then creates a .pdf from the RT file. He says that process purges "almost
all" of the track changes from the document.

Has anyone else heard of this, or should I place all of the above in the
Roswell NM/Alien file?

Thanks.
--
Wallace
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man

A far greater danger of letting Word files out of your control is "some
nefarious types" using your letterhead and template to create
realistic-looking but phony documents. I never let sensitive Word files out
of my control.

Creating a PDF file should wipe out all tracked changes, without the need
for an RTF file in between.

(However, you do need to make sure you never drink in strange bars, or you
might wake up in a tub of ice water, with your kidneys missing!)

"Wallace" wrote:

I am a strong proponent of Track Changes in Word 2003. Recently a coworker
told me that despite saving to a new filename and accepting all changes in
the document, some sophisticated software is still capable of detecting the
insertions, deletions, and comments made in earlier versions of the document.
He says the problem is so acute that the Department of Justice no longer uses
Word for fear that some nefarious types could ID the changes DOJ lawyers
made in docs they circulate. He now saves his Word docs to a rich text file,
then creates a .pdf from the RT file. He says that process purges "almost
all" of the track changes from the document.

Has anyone else heard of this, or should I place all of the above in the
Roswell NM/Alien file?

Thanks.
--
Wallace

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed

http://www.wpuniverse.com/vb/showthr...p?postid=77733
http://www.computerbytesman.com/privacy/blair.htm
http://chronicle.com/free/v52/i33/33a04101.htm
http://news.com.com/2100-7344-5170073.html
http://archive.salon.com/tech/log/19...rosoft_report/
http://www.metadatarisk.org/document...a_overview.htm
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...reveals-terror

and there's more!
Ed

"Wallace" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Most of those articles date from before the risk was widely publicized, and
all except the one at metadatarisk.org concern documents that had not been
scrubbed in any way. (And several of them are frankly sensationalist
fearmongering.)

Here are some less inflammatory articles to balance the discussion:

How to Minimize Metadata in Word
WD97:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223790
WD2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237361
WD2002:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290945

Remove Hidden Data add-in for Office 2003 and Office XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834427

Protecting Personal Data in Your Word 2003 Documents
http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/librar...ctWord2003.asp

I won't give you an iron-clad promise that accepting/rejecting all tracked
changes will completely obliterate all traces of the changes, but I think it
would be entirely sufficient unless you're trying to hide national security
secrets.

I'd love to hear from a reliable source whether or not DOJ uses Word -- and
if not, it might just be because they've spent so much money suing Microsoft
that they can't afford a copy of Office any more. g

I don't think the RTF/PDF thing will do any better or worse than the Hidden
Data Add-In, but it's a great time-waster.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Wallace" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wallace

This 2005 article:

http://www.fcw.com/article88225-03-07-05-Web

says *some* DOJ offices use Word Perfect, and the DOJ/Word Perfect
relationship has been extended for 2 years with some renewal options. The DOJ
spokesperson, however, is quoted as saying eventually the entire department
will probably shift to Word.

But a statement in the article that "U.S. courts also require all case
filings to be in WordPerfect," is absolutely untrue. U.S. Courts require all
case filings to be in .pdf. When this article was written WP might have had a
more accessible .pdf converter than did Word, thus making conversion a little
easier, but with Word 2003 that advantage is gone. Word and Word Perfect can
convert to .pdf with equal ease for filing documents in the federal court's
electronic case filing system (ecfs).

Another urban legend debunked.

--
Wallace

"Wallace" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word 2003 does not include built-in support for PDF creation, but Word 2007
will.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Wallace" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wallace

Really? My Menu Toolbar has an "Adobe PDF" option from which I can convert a
document to .pdf or convert and e-mail that document. Is this not standard on
Word 2003?

--
Wallace