Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brenda from Michigan Brenda from Michigan is offline

Default Errors when opening document

Word 2002 SP3

I have a user with a strange problem. When he opens Word documents, he very
often gets an error to the effect (not exact wording) that the document was
not closed properly last time - do you want to open yes/no. The document
then will open very slowly - taking a minute or more.

These documents are on a network drive and most have huge paths to reach
them. However, when he receives documents via his GroupWise and opens them,
he often gets a message they 'should' be opened as read only. Then they take
a long time to open as well. We tried saving an emailed document to the
Desktop and open it from there but go the same message. We also ran a repair
on his office suite and have renamed normal.dot twice.

I've taught him to do an EXT, then copy/paste the document to a new document
and name differently than the original and that's working fine for him. The
only constant seems to be his PC. I've looked through all his Word settings
and do not see anything amiss. We would like to know if there are any ideas
as to why so many of his documents are being problematic including those sent
to him. Any ideas at all? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This type of error occurs when the document is not closed properly e.g. if
the PC is switched off without closing Word. This leaves the temporary files
present on the hard drive which lock the document against further use - see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Brenda from Michigan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brenda from Michigan Brenda from Michigan is offline

Thank you. I'm checking to see if these have corresponding ~$ files.
However, he reports that initially opening a document emailed to him also
produced an error. This happens so often I strongly believe something else
is happening other than an occasional crash of Word, I just can't wrap my
mind around what it might be.