Ted Kerin

Default Saving changes to "Paragraph" settings

I need to open a lot of Word documents, in many sessions in the future, that
will all have Headings as part of the pre-done format. I want to be able to
create page-breaks at each new Heading, automatically, when the document
opens (or at least, when I re-save it)..

I am able to do this, one document at a time, but my question is how I can
set Word to do this automatically, whenever each new document is opened.

I am using Word 2003 (although I might have to instruct others on how to do
this in slightly older versions). Here's what I have been able to do, so
far:
With the .doc open in Word, go to "Format" at the top menu.

From the drop-down list of choices, click on "Styles and Formatting".

In the new page that opens up, in the list on the right side, click on
"Heading 1" to select it. Then, right-click on it.

From the little menu that appears after the right-click, click on
Modify...This causes a new little window to pop up, called "Modify Style".

In the "Modify Style" window, find the button at the bottom-left that says
"Format", with a down-arrow. Click on that button.

From the list that appears, click on Paragraph. This opens up a new little
window, called "Paragraph".

In the "Paragraph" window, click on the tab that says "Line and Page
Breaks". Then, put a check-mark in the little box that says "Page break
before".

Now I'm essentially done, in that I can OK and close, and the open document
will be fixed, so that each new heading begins on a new page. However, what
I'd like to do is to set-up Word so that, the next time I open one of these
documents, the above page-breaks will be created automatically.

I have tried a few things, including:

Click "OK" in the "Paragraph" Window. This brings you back to the "Modify
Style" window.

In the "Modify Style" window, put a check in the box that says "add to
template". Then, OK on that box.

I thought this might cause my settings to work like a template, and to
create the page-breaks on any new documents that I might open, that have
headings. But, this is not working -- I find that I have to re-do all of the
above steps, each time.

Can I please get some tips on how to make these settings be applied
automatically, on all new docs? And perhaps, how to turn those settings on
and off, if that can be done easily without deleting the settings altogether
(and having to re-create them later)?

Many thanks for any help with this.

What you're doing should be working. If it's not, it might be that
Normal.dot is not being saved on shutdown. Do you have Acrobat 7 installed?
If so, see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

"Ted Kerin" wrote in message

I need to open a lot of Word documents, in many sessions in the future,

that
will all have Headings as part of the pre-done format. I want to be able

create page-breaks at each new Heading, automatically, when the document
opens (or at least, when I re-save it)..

I am able to do this, one document at a time, but my question is how I can
set Word to do this automatically, whenever each new document is opened.

I am using Word 2003 (although I might have to instruct others on how to

do
this in slightly older versions). Here's what I have been able to do, so
far:
With the .doc open in Word, go to "Format" at the top menu.

From the drop-down list of choices, click on "Styles and Formatting".

In the new page that opens up, in the list on the right side, click on
"Heading 1" to select it. Then, right-click on it.

From the little menu that appears after the right-click, click on
Modify...This causes a new little window to pop up, called "Modify Style".

In the "Modify Style" window, find the button at the bottom-left that says
"Format", with a down-arrow. Click on that button.

From the list that appears, click on Paragraph. This opens up a new little
[...]

Ted Kerin

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
What you're doing should be working. If it's not, it might be that
Normal.dot is not being saved on shutdown. Do you have Acrobat 7

installed?
If so, see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Thanks for your reply, Suzanne. Based on your answer, and some further
tought, I think the problem is caused by a stylesheet used in the program
that creates the documents (which I failed to mention in my initial post,
because I didn't realize the importance). I think this program imposes its
own formatting, in a way that effectively prevents Word from automatically
using its own template.

Thanks again.