Aurora

Default Template

I am using Word 2000.
I created a template with DOT extension.

Now I just want it as a document. So I resaved it with a
DOC extension. That is how it shows in the directory.
But when I bring it up again and want to resave it, it
goes back to DOT.

What am I doing wrong????

Aurora
Charles Kenyon

Except in the most recent versions of Word, you can't save a template as a
document. Changing the extension makes Windows think it is a document, but
Word knows it is a template. The correct way to make a document from a
template is to create a new document based on the template. This is the
default action if you double-click on the icon. If you stored the template
in one of your templates folders, File New will let you pick the template
as the basis for a new document. For more on the different kinds of
templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of templates folders
see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Aurora" wrote in message
I am using Word 2000.
I created a template with DOT extension.

Now I just want it as a document. So I resaved it with a
DOC extension. That is how it shows in the directory.
But when I bring it up again and want to resave it, it
goes back to DOT.

What am I doing wrong????

Aurora

Aurora

Thank you for answering. I must have been having a senior
moment. While I was working with a template, I was not
thinking template vs document. You reminded me of what I
was doing. Thank you again.
Aurora

Except in the most recent versions of Word, you can't

save a template as a
document. Changing the extension makes Windows think it

is a document, but
Word knows it is a template. The correct way to make a

document from a
template is to create a new document based on the

template. This is the
default action if you double-click on the icon. If you

stored the template
in one of your templates folders, File New will let you

pick the template
as the basis for a new document. For more on the

different kinds of
templates, tabs on the file new dialog, and locations of

templates folders
see http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

http://addbalance.com/word

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented

version of
Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

http://addbalance.com/usersguide

See also the MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word which is