Dodane

Default Wrong page numbers in Index

I have a Word document about 120 pages long, with Section Breaks, Page
Breaks, Headings, etc. The index I created has several mistakes in it
regarding the page numbers: for some of the referenced words, the page number
is wrong. For example, if the word is in page 92, in Index would appear as
being in page 91. I did some research, and all I found is that I have to get
ride of the Page Breaks (all of them ?? ) and then update the Field for
Index, but if I do that, my whole document will be a mess and I will lose the
proper flow of pages.

Thank you in advance for any idea.

Dodane

Daiya Mitchell

Well, generally trying to control page breaks in a 120 page document is a
fool's game. Section Breaks are necessary, yes, but just as you let Word
control where a line wraps, you should let Word control where a page breaks.
If you set your document up properly, you can easily tell Word things like
"keep all titles with the next paragraph". If you are manually setting the
page breaks, that's not the proper flow of pages.

So why do you have all these manual page breaks?

However, I'm surprised that just updating the Index field doesn't work
anyhow--I don't quite see what the manual page breaks have to do with it.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

If the manual page break has gotten inside the XE field, that could be an
issue. Another issue, however, is failure to hide the XE fields (which are
Hidden text) before generating the index.

.. .

On 8/4/05 7:23 AM, "Dodane" wrote:

I have a Word document about 120 pages long, with Section Breaks, Page
Breaks, Headings, etc. The index I created has several mistakes in it
regarding the page numbers: for some of the referenced words, the page

number
is wrong. For example, if the word is in page 92, in Index would appear

as
being in page 91. I did some research, and all I found is that I have to

get
ride of the Page Breaks (all of them ?? ) and then update the Field for
Index, but if I do that, my whole document will be a mess and I will

lose the
proper flow of pages.

Thank you in advance for any idea.

Dodane

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Dodane

How can I search for the manual page break inside an XE filed ?

To hide the XE fields before I generated the index, I un-checked the Hidden
Text and All under the Tools - Options - View. I also toggled the Show/Hide
symbol. It seems that nothing works. Is there anything more I should look for
? Also, I deleted all the manual page brakes I could find. Might be some
hidden ones somewhere ?

I don't know what I can do more, but I really have to find a solution.

*********************************

On 8/4/05 7:23 AM, "Dodane" wrote:

[...]

Dodane

I discovered the cause of the problem I have. Although this is a very
particular case, I think is good to mention the result I came up with: all
the words that were listed in the Index as being on page-1 (91 instead of
92), are in a bulleted list that is the content of a table cell that spreads
over the two pages. Therefore, Word recognizes those words as being part of
that cell that starts on page 91, and counts the words as being in page 91
even though they are actually situated on page 92 (at bullet number 2, 3,
etc). What I did, I split the table, I let only bullet number one be in page
91, then move the following bullets to a fresh new cell in page 92. That
works fine. All the words are in the appropriate page in Index.

What puzzles me now is: is this a correct method of corecting this type of
problems ? Because if I have to do this, means that I have to check each
single word in the Index, or at least all the cells that spread over pages.

On 8/4/05 7:23 AM, "Dodane" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback. This is an interesting development but not entirely
surprising. I think your workaround is probably the only easy way to deal
with this.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the manual page break has gotten inside the XE field, that could be

an
issue. Another issue, however, is failure to hide the XE fields (which

are
Hidden text) before generating the index.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.