Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brislon Brislon is offline

Default Images used in headers and footers are degrading when converted to

I've incorporated a corporate logo (made from a GIF) into both a header and
footer.

Given that Word displays these in a faded way, I understand that the only
way you can view the document with the header and footer images appearing
correctly is to convert the Word document into a PDF.

However, having tried this with a number of PDF packages, the GIF images
keep appearing in a very degraded way.

Am I doing something wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Brislon

When you are in Word in Print Layout view (View Print Layout), then any
content in headers and footers is 'faded' (not least so you can identify
that it is a header or footer). You should see the non-faded version if you
do File Print Preview. And, of course, you will see the non-faded version
if you print on paper.

So, if you use Print Preview do you see the image as you expect? If not,
then there may be something wrong with the image. I suggest you go back to
the application in which you created the logo and export it again. In
particular, try to make the logo the same size you intend to use, and ensure
that your logo does not have more than 256 colours (because a GIF can't
contain more than 256 colours). Or, try to export as a JPG or PNG and see if
that makes a difference.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Brislon" wrote in message
news
I've incorporated a corporate logo (made from a GIF) into both a header
and
footer.

Given that Word displays these in a faded way, I understand that the only
way you can view the document with the header and footer images appearing
correctly is to convert the Word document into a PDF.

However, having tried this with a number of PDF packages, the GIF images
keep appearing in a very degraded way.

Am I doing something wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Suzanne

Ah, wrapped. Of course. I avoid wrapped images in headers like the plague,
so it never occurred to me.

Shauna

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
My experience has been that wrapped images in the header/footer appear
dimmed in Print Preview. They print correctly.

so
all may benefit.

[...]

"Brislon" wrote in message
news
I've incorporated a corporate logo (made from a GIF) into both a header
and
footer.

Given that Word displays these in a faded way, I understand that the

only
way you can view the document with the header and footer images

appearing
correctly is to convert the Word document into a PDF.

However, having tried this with a number of PDF packages, the GIF
images
keep appearing in a very degraded way.

Am I doing something wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yeah, me, too, but this came up in connection with another user's
experience, and that's what we ultimately tracked it down to. Seems like I
did personally experience it once, too. At the time I shrugged it off as one
of those bizarre, inexplicable things that "just happen" in Word and thought
no more of it (since it printed okay); I've since learned that it's
consistent (albeit still a bug, I think).

"Shauna Kelly" wrote in message
Hi Suzanne

Ah, wrapped. Of course. I avoid wrapped images in headers like the plague,
so it never occurred to me.

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
My experience has been that wrapped images in the header/footer appear
dimmed in Print Preview. They print correctly.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

news I've incorporated a corporate logo (made from a GIF) into both a