Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fisher4 Fisher4 is offline

Default File Name & Path Error

Every time I try to insert the File Name & Path via the Header/Footer Insert
Function in Word the file name and path displays odd looking text...none of
which resembles anything legible. I also get the same showing up in Excel.
Currently operating off our company's server so I'm not sure if its a setting
within Word or a server setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fisher4 Fisher4 is offline

Suzanne, thanks for getting back to me on this. Alt+F9 didn't work. What
displays is are a set of boxes and numbers, more boxes than numbers. Our IT
people are stumped. Reinstalled my profile on the LAN server and client box,
still can't seem to find a fix for it. I'll have to try the same function on
a co-workers client box to see if the same thing is happening. Any
assistance is welcomed.

"Fisher4" wrote in message
Every time I try to insert the File Name & Path via the Header/Footer

Insert
Function in Word the file name and path displays odd looking text...none

of
which resembles anything legible. I also get the same showing up in

Excel.
Currently operating off our company's server so I'm not sure if its a

setting
within Word or a server setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Was the header/footer created in a font that's currently unavailable? What
happens if you start in Office Safe Mode?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Perhaps you're seeing the field code? What happens if you press Alt+F9?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Fisher4" wrote in message
Every time I try to insert the File Name & Path via the Header/Footer

Insert
Function in Word the file name and path displays odd looking

text...none
of
which resembles anything legible. I also get the same showing up in

Excel.
Currently operating off our company's server so I'm not sure if its a

setting
within Word or a server setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

If you're seeing the same thing in Footer File names in both Word and Excel
(and only in file names) it suggests that the problem is in the file names
themselves rather than the presentation by the Office applications. Can you
see the file names correctly elsewhere (the Title Bar, say)? Do you see
similar odd characters in other data added to Footers?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Fisher4" wrote in message
Every time I try to insert the File Name & Path via the Header/Footer
Insert
Function in Word the file name and path displays odd looking text...none
of
which resembles anything legible. I also get the same showing up in
Excel.
Currently operating off our company's server so I'm not sure if its a
setting
within Word or a server setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fisher4 Fisher4 is offline

Tony, This problem is isolated to footer/header function in Word and Excel.
The Title Bar displays the name of the document just fine. I can add data to
header/footer which save to the document just fine. It's only the auto insert
function in the header/footer for file name and path that don't display
properly.

Fisher4

"Fisher4" wrote in message
Every time I try to insert the File Name & Path via the Header/Footer
Insert
Function in Word the file name and path displays odd looking text...none
of
which resembles anything legible. I also get the same showing up in
Excel.
Currently operating off our company's server so I'm not sure if its a
setting
within Word or a server setting.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I have no idea of the source of the Word Filename Field or the Excel &[File]
but I doubt it differs from what is shown in the Title bar suggesting a
presentation issue rather than a data issue. If you change the font in
either Word or Excel footers do you still see the problem?

--
Enjoy,
Tony