Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJBookie CJBookie is offline

Default Word is not saving default settings,

especially when I copy something from the 'Net. I keep getting this message:
"This document contains formatting that cannot be saved in text format. Do
you want to save the changes to ..."

I click on "Yes", and get this message:
"(doc. name) may contain features that are not compatible with "text only"
format. D you want to save the document in this format?

To save, click Yes.
To preserve formatting, click No. Then save a copy in the latest Word
format."

This has happened before, and I got it fixed for a while, but now it is
happening again. This happens in a new Word document. The old ones will
hold the formatting.

HELP!
--
I have a "love/hate" relationship with computers - I love them, they hate me!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the Save tab of Tools | Options, make sure that "Word Document" is
selected as the default save format. It sounds as if you're trying to save
documents in a text (*.txt) format.

"CJBookie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJBookie CJBookie is offline

Sorry, that did not work. I created a new Word document, set my font, font
size, and margins, set the view, then saved as default. I checked the Save
tab in Tools - Options, and Word document is checked. I still get the same
messages when trying to save and close.

Like I said before, this has happened before, and I got it fixed (can't
remember how), but when I try to copy and paste something from the 'Net, it
goes back to these messages.
--

"CJBookie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're just trying to save defaults, you don't need to save a document.
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the Save tab of Tools | Options, make sure that "Word Document" is
selected as the default save format. It sounds as if you're trying to

save
documents in a text (*.txt) format.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"CJBookie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJBookie CJBookie is offline

I've tried that, thanks. I'm still having troubles, though. Even when I try
to save a new document, after creating my defaults, I still get those
messages. Some how, I'm assuming my Normal.doc template got changed and I
cannot figure out how to change it back.

Everything wants to default to 1" margins, Courier font, and Plain Text
style. I want .5 margins, Ariel font, size 11, and Normal style. I can't
get any new documents to save that way, even though I had previously
defaulted my documents to those settings.

I'm sorry, but I'm also not understanding some of that tutorial. When it
says "global" document/template, that means MS's default settings for a Word
document, correct? (for Normal.doc?) A person should be able to change the
default settings for Word documents, right? That's what I'm trying to do,
but it won't work. My saved/previous Word documents are fine, it's just when
I try to create new documents that I get these messages. I cannot remember
how I got the defaults to change and stay that way the last time this
happened. I think I just reinstalled Word.

I'm so confused! Sorry! LOL I can fix hardware issues, and can fix virus
issues, but can't seem to figure this one out. *doink*

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you're just trying to save defaults, you don't need to save a document.
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJBookie CJBookie is offline

I forgot to add that I'm using MS Office Pro 2000, on Win XP. I use what we
have at work, so as not to get things "confused". LOL I sometimes bring
work home, and want to keep things as uniform as possible.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you're just trying to save defaults, you don't need to save a document.
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I said before, if you are setting the defaults as described in that
article, and they are not being saved, it could be that something is
interfering with saving Normal.dot. Even if it isn't Acrobat, the workaround
Graham gives (use Shift+File | Save All) will work.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you're just trying to save defaults, you don't need to save a

document.
See

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CJBookie CJBookie is offline

I'll give that a try again, thanks! I couldn't quite figure out the fix for
the Acrobat thing, either, but will give it another shot.

Thanks for your patience!
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

As I said before, if you are setting the defaults as described in that
article, and they are not being saved, it could be that something is
interfering with saving Normal.dot. Even if it isn't Acrobat, the workaround
Graham gives (use Shift+File | Save All) will work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Oldguy Oldguy is offline

I am another user with default problems. Sorry, but I couldn't figure out a
lot of the suggestions already given and am not even sure Normal.dot is on my
computer given it would not come up on SEARCH. I am using Windows XP Home,
Word 2002. Acrobat Standard is on this computer (and HP Pavilion). OK..so I
know how to set the default font and go through the entire drill. When I stay
on Word, each new document comes up fine. After I close out and click back
in; it is back to the transroman font gain. Any suggestons?