Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] kholmen1@comcast.net is offline

Default Need macro to copy styles from one template to active document

I often need to open up organizer and copy styles from an add in
template I keep on my C: drive to the current document open. The
documents I add into may have different filenames and templates. I do
not want to change the templates, just copy in the styles. Anyone have
a suggestion for the code? Everytime I do it with the macro recorder
it copies the global add in template into my main Document Template
(therefore I have my add in AND my Document template which are now the
same and this causes all sorts of errors. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi

If this were me, I'd find a way around the problem.

If you have a template with the styles you need, then create your new
document by doing File New and choosing your template. Then you'll have
all the styles you need.

If you're starting with an existing document and you want to apply the
styles from your template to this existing document, then consider working
the problem the other way round. Create a new document with your styles,
then paste the content of the existing document into it.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message
oups.com...
I often need to open up organizer and copy styles from an add in
template I keep on my C: drive to the current document open. The
documents I add into may have different filenames and templates. I do
not want to change the templates, just copy in the styles. Anyone have
a suggestion for the code? Everytime I do it with the macro recorder
it copies the global add in template into my main Document Template
(therefore I have my add in AND my Document template which are now the
same and this causes all sorts of errors. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] kholmen1@comcast.net is offline

Hi. Thanks Shauna.

I have to use global templates and cannot create a new one with my
styles in it. I have to save my styles in a template add-in. I
appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Kim

Shauna Kelly wrote:
Hi

If this were me, I'd find a way around the problem.

If you have a template with the styles you need, then create your new
document by doing File New and choosing your template. Then you'll have
all the styles you need.

If you're starting with an existing document and you want to apply the
styles from your template to this existing document, then consider working
the problem the other way round. Create a new document with your styles,
then paste the content of the existing document into it.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message
oups.com...
I often need to open up organizer and copy styles from an add in
template I keep on my C: drive to the current document open. The
documents I add into may have different filenames and templates. I do
not want to change the templates, just copy in the styles. Anyone have
a suggestion for the code? Everytime I do it with the macro recorder
it copies the global add in template into my main Document Template
(therefore I have my add in AND my Document template which are now the
same and this causes all sorts of errors. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The only reason for locking down normal.dot by your IT support would be to
allow it to be shared - which it was never designed to be
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811468 .

Each user should have his/her own normal.dot template and be free to modify
it to hold personal settings, because that's what it does. By locking down
the template they are making more work for the users, to save their support
time which ultimately reduces the company's productivity and makes the staff
restless. Get the IT support to give you read and write access to the User
templates folder and you can create the templates Word is designed to use.
If they won't do this, take the issue up with management.

Lazy and incompetent IT staff may not have removed your registry access. See
if you can change the User Templates folder in Tools Options File
Locations to a place where you have read/write access. You can then store
your own normal.dot and user templates there without affecting the IT
department's settings.

Shauna Kelly wrote:
Hi

If this were me, I'd find a way around the problem.

If you have a template with the styles you need, then create your new
document by doing File New and choosing your template. Then you'll
have all the styles you need.

If you're starting with an existing document and you want to apply
the styles from your template to this existing document, then
consider working the problem the other way round. Create a new
document with your styles, then paste the content of the existing
document into it.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

wrote in message
oups.com...
I often need to open up organizer and copy styles from an add in
template I keep on my C: drive to the current document open. The
documents I add into may have different filenames and templates. I
do not want to change the templates, just copy in the styles.
Anyone have a suggestion for the code? Everytime I do it with the
macro recorder it copies the global add in template into my main
Document Template (therefore I have my add in AND my Document
template which are now the same and this causes all sorts of
errors. Thanks!

Copying styles between documents Ness T Microsoft Word Help 2 June 22nd 07 09:42 PM
How do you use a template? TheWheel Microsoft Word Help 10 August 25th 06 04:34 PM
How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
CPU Usage When working with a Template I Created KM1 Microsoft Word Help 6 May 24th 05 04:38 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM