Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Default limit formatting but keep highlighting

Hi. I am limitting the formatting in word 2003. I have reduced the styles to
what I really need. I would like to be able to use the hightlighter. However,
I cannot find this style. When I turn on the limiting styles, I cannot use
the highlighter. Any ideas how to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 03:08:01 -0800, Robin
wrote:

Hi. I am limitting the formatting in word 2003. I have reduced the styles to
what I really need. I would like to be able to use the hightlighter. However,
I cannot find this style. When I turn on the limiting styles, I cannot use
the highlighter. Any ideas how to fix this?

This isn't exactly the same as highlighting, because you can't "paint"
it onto text, but the end result looks the same:

Define a new style, name it Highlight, and make it a Character style.
Click the Format button at the bottom of the New Style dialog and
choose Border. On the Shading tab of the Border dialog, select yellow
(or any other color -- you get a lot more choices than with the real
highlighting tool). Click OK to exit all the dialogs. Make sure the
Highlight style is one of the allowed styles, and apply it to any
selected text.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Instead of trying to use the highlighter, use text shading. Define a
character style as Default Paragraph Font + Pattern: Clear (Yellow).* You
can create as many styles as you need highlight colors. Then add these to
the permitted styles.

*To do this, select some text, go to Format | Borders and Shading, and on
the Shading tab, choose a color, making sure that Text is selected for
"Apply to." Then click New Style... in the Styles and Formatting task pane,
choose Character for the style type, and type a name for the style.

"Robin" wrote in message
Hi. I am limitting the formatting in word 2003. I have reduced the styles

what I really need. I would like to be able to use the hightlighter.

However,
I cannot find this style. When I turn on the limiting styles, I cannot use
the highlighter. Any ideas how to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Thanks very much. Although this is not perfect , it will work ok (e.g. if you
want to highlight header text, it will change the text size, etc). Perhaps
Microsoft can allow the highlighter to be used even if limited formatting has
been turned on in their next version of Word...

"Robin" wrote in message
Hi. I am limitting the formatting in word 2003. I have reduced the styles

what I really need. I would like to be able to use the hightlighter.

However,
I cannot find this style. When I turn on the limiting styles, I cannot use
the highlighter. Any ideas how to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, it will *not* change the text size provided you have defined the
character style as Default Paragraph Font + your formatting and provided
that the text size is part of the definition of the heading style. Applying
a character style will remove direct font formatting (such as bold or italic
applied to part of a paragraph) but will not affect any font formatting that
is part of the style.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Instead of trying to use the highlighter, use text shading. Define a
character style as Default Paragraph Font + Pattern: Clear (Yellow).*

You
can create as many styles as you need highlight colors. Then add these

the permitted styles.

*To do this, select some text, go to Format | Borders and Shading, and

on
the Shading tab, choose a color, making sure that Text is selected for
"Apply to." Then click New Style... in the Styles and Formatting task

pane,
choose Character for the style type, and type a name for the style.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Robin" wrote in message
Hi. I am limitting the formatting in word 2003. I have reduced the

styles
what I really need. I would like to be able to use the hightlighter.

However,
I cannot find this style. When I turn on the limiting styles, I cannot

use
the highlighter. Any ideas how to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Robin is offline

Hello. You are right - the formatting does not change. Not sure what happened
with my previous experiment, but it works as you say now. Thanks very much...