Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wendy[_2_] Wendy[_2_] is offline

Default Problems with Microsoft Office Word 2007

"Wendy" wrote in message news:...

Two spaces automatically at the start of a new sentence immediately after
the previous one, can be done within word because I have done it.

Open word document office button word options proofing grammar settings
spaces required between sentences(you choose)2

I just wondered if it could be done with the "comma" as well but only one
space. I assume this cannot be achieved then?

Wendy

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
As Graham says. Also it is a waste of time unless you are using an 18th
Century typewriter type face because modern fonts auto-magically adjust
the spacing between words and characters to best fit. Putting in
double-spaces will be hit and miss: it also went out with typewriters.

Terry

"Wendy" wrote in message
Terry,

In the word 2007 program, I can format how many spaces there should be
after the end of a sentence and the full stop. So for example, when a
sentence finishes, the next sentence will automatically start two spaces
after the previous one if set like that in word.

Can you tell me within the word program, if I can also do this with a
comma? I would like to, every time I use a comma for punctuation, have
the next word after the comma to start one space after it.

Is this possible at all and if it is, could you tell me how it is done
within the word program please.

Thank you

Wendy

"Wendy" wrote in message
Okay Terry, that's exactly what I thought. Thanks for all the advice.

W.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Many changes can be made permanently by editing normal.dotm. However,
many of the changes that you want to make can be done through the
dialogs in Word - such as page settings, font set, paragraph spacing,
line spacing, etc. and that is the easiest and safest way to change
them (minimal risk of corrupting normal.dotm). Those examples can all
be done in the Font and Paragraph dialogs by pressing the DEFAULT
button in the dialogs after making the changes.

Curly quotes (Smart Quotes) can be toggled off in the AutoCorrect
Options dialog (Word Options | Proofing tab).

However, most of these settings will only work for new document and
not for existing documents. If you need to change existing documents,
then this can be done in various ways dependant on the changes:
attaching a new template to a document, running a Find & Replace or
using a macro are some of the tools.

But in the long-term, creating your own templates is often the best
method because some changes to normal.dot (such as adding a header or
footer, for example) can have unforeseen consequences with other Word
functions.

Terry

"Wendy" wrote in message
Terry, may I ask another question please.

I am not going to tamper with this, so do not panic, these are just
only questions.

Am I right in saying that, if I select the normal.dotm word file from
templates from within the office button and I change such things as
"line spacing" or "change curly quotes to straight quotes" or any
other such variation and I save it afterwards, does that mean that
every subsequent word document I open will automatically have those
changes in them?

If so, would I also be right in saying that I should make a separate
template in "Templates" specifically with these changes in them for
that use?

You may or may not know this but being a Microsoft Word expert, would
you happen to know the exact format within a word document that
professional writers and author's use generally?

That includes all the punctuation, line spacing, font and anything
else there is to know for the general formatting of a manuscipt?

It does not matter if you do not know, I was just wondering if you
did?

W.

"Wendy" wrote in message
Will do Terry, once again thanks for all your help :-))

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
We recommend renaming rather than deleting as normal.dotm sometimes
stores special user create macros and styles which can be copied to
the normal.bad to the normal.dotm using the Oganizer. If you ignore
it for a few session until you are happy that nothing is missing,
then delete it.

Terry

"Wendy" wrote in message
Brilliant Terry!!! Thank you very much indeed! It now works
perfectly.

Just one thing, renaming the normal.dotm to normal.bad has left a
file there in templates as a blank piece of paper with the
filename "normal.bad" and created a new normal.dotm which I assume
is the new uncorrupted file.

What do I do with the normal.bad blank piece of paper file, do I
delete it or just leave it there?

I checked all the other templates and there were no others there
with the ~ character.

Thank you so much for your patience and help.

W.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
That is correct reaction: when the Data Key is deleted, it is
automatically recreated when Word is restarted (but it will be
fresh and uncorrupted).

To resolve the other part of the problem, you need to find
normal.dotm and rename it normal.bad. Presuming you are using
Word 2007 in Vista, you will find the file in:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templa tes

With Word closed, use Windows Explorer to get to the Templates
folder above, select normal.dotm, right-click and choose Rename;
then change it to normal.bad. Whilst in that folder, if you see
ANY templates or files starting with a ~ character, delete them.

Now test Word again.

Terry

"Wendy" wrote in message
I went into the registry, but I did not change anything within
there, so no damage has appeared. All I have done now, is
exactly what you have asked me to do which is to delete "Data"
in "Word" within the registry. I have done this three times and
rebooted three times and after deleting the "Data" each time, it
comes back when I reboot thus, still leaving the problem.

Can you think what else it could be?

Thank you

W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I think you will find that it doesn't automatically make the change when you
set this grammar checking option. It merely reports it as in error.
If you want the spacing to be automatic, you need to press the spacebar. Or
you could use Replace to insert the required number of spaces. Or better
still use one space. As Terry states, double spacing is an unnecessary
hangover to typewriting practice, irrelevant with proportionally spaced
fonts.

"Wendy" wrote in message
I went into the registry, but I did not change anything
within there, so no damage has appeared. All I have done
now, is exactly what you have asked me to do which is to
delete "Data" in "Word" within the registry. I have done
this three times and rebooted three times and after
deleting the "Data" each time, it comes back when I reboot
thus, still leaving the problem. Can you think what else it
could be?

Thank you

W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wendy[_2_] Wendy[_2_] is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

I think you will find that it doesn't automatically make the change when
you set this grammar checking option. It merely reports it as in error.

Regarding automatically starting two spaces after the previous sentence does
work in my word 2007, it does not report it as an error! I know this
because I have done it and it works!

Try it.

"Wendy" wrote in message
I went into the registry, but I did not change anything
within there, so no damage has appeared. All I have done
now, is exactly what you have asked me to do which is to
delete "Data" in "Word" within the registry. I have done
this three times and rebooted three times and after
deleting the "Data" each time, it comes back when I reboot
thus, still leaving the problem. Can you think what else it
could be?

Thank you

W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I was aware of the grammar setting. If you have the grammar checker
automatically checking as you type, single spaces at the end of a sentence
are marked with a green underline. If you have the option to check grammar
with spelling, the spell check flags the single space as an error. In
neither case does it make the substitution automatically. I know of no way
to make it do that - but am interested to learn how you managed it.

"Wendy" wrote in message
I went into the registry, but I did not change anything
within there, so no damage has appeared. All I have done
now, is exactly what you have asked me to do which is to
delete "Data" in "Word" within the registry. I have done
this three times and rebooted three times and after
deleting the "Data" each time, it comes back when I
reboot thus, still leaving the problem. Can you think
what else it could be?

Thank you

W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wendy[_2_] Wendy[_2_] is offline

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
I was aware of the grammar setting. If you have the grammar checker
automatically checking as you type, single spaces at the end of a sentence
are marked with a green underline. If you have the option to check grammar
with spelling, the spell check flags the single space as an error. In
neither case does it make the substitution automatically. I know of no way
to make it do that - but am interested to learn how you managed it.

Graham, I have just tried it again to make sure and if you go through the
procedure I showed in my previous post here, it works!

Also in grammar settings, I have the following boxes all checked with a
tick: - Check spelling as you type: Use contextual spelling: Mark grammar
errors as you type: Check grammar with spelling.

Also in the "Writing Style" box, I chose "Grammar & Style". If you also
look below that in the "Exceptions for" box, you can choose to use this
format only on the document you are on or "All New Documents".

I do not get any green underlining and I do not get any flagging errors like
you mention. Like I say, it works! Try it.

Wendy

"Wendy" wrote in message
I went into the registry, but I did not change anything
within there, so no damage has appeared. All I have done
now, is exactly what you have asked me to do which is to
delete "Data" in "Word" within the registry. I have done
this three times and rebooted three times and after
deleting the "Data" each time, it comes back when I
reboot thus, still leaving the problem. Can you think
what else it could be?

Thank you

W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have duplicated your settings and still get the green underline -
attributable to Mark grammar errors as you type - which is what I
expected. I really don't know how you managed to get it to make the change
automatically. This could be a language based issue. What language is at the
cursor?

Wendy wrote:
"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

I think you will find that it doesn't automatically make the change
when you set this grammar checking option. It merely reports it as
in error.

Regarding automatically starting two spaces after the previous
sentence does work in my word 2007, it does not report it as an
error! I know this because I have done it and it works!

Try it.

Open word document office button word options proofing
grammar settings spaces required between sentences (you choose)
2 Wendy

"Wendy" wrote in message
I went into the registry, but I did not change anything
within there, so no damage has appeared. All I have
done now, is exactly what you have asked me to do
which is to delete "Data" in "Word" within the
registry. I have done this three times and rebooted
three times and after deleting the "Data" each time,
it comes back when I reboot thus, still leaving the
problem. Can you think what else it could be?

Thank you

W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wendy[_2_] Wendy[_2_] is offline

First of all, I am using Vista Ultimate.

This could be a language based issue. What language is at the cursor?

The language is English (United Kingdom)

Then use the same settings as I mentioned earlier and try it then.

Wendy

"Wendy" wrote in message
I went into the registry, but I did not change anything
within there, so no damage has appeared. All I have
done now, is exactly what you have asked me to do
which is to delete "Data" in "Word" within the
registry. I have done this three times and rebooted
three times and after deleting the "Data" each time,
it comes back when I reboot thus, still leaving the
problem. Can you think what else it could be?

Thank you

W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Same here with English (United Kingdom) and English (Australian). That is,
setting the spaces to 2 will not result in two spaces being flagged as a
grammatical error, but it does not cause a second space to be added
automatically if the user only enters one space. In that case, the one
space will be flagged as a grammatical error.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Wendy" wrote in message
I went into the registry, but I did not change
anything within there, so no damage has appeared. All I
have done now, is exactly what you have asked
me to do which is to delete "Data" in "Word" within
the registry. I have done this three times and
rebooted three times and after deleting the "Data"
each time, it comes back when I reboot thus, still
leaving the problem. Can you think what else it
could be? Thank you

W.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Wendy[_2_] Wendy[_2_] is offline

I must apologise to you all.

I tried it by typing the text and it does not work automatically.

What I forgot to tell you was, I am using speech recognition to dictate the
text to the screen and not typing it.

When Using the "Windows Speech Recognition Program" With Word, When I Say
"Full Stop", the Next Sentence automatically starts two spaces after the
previous one and I have no errors or green lines.

That must be the reason why it works with me and this program and not by
physical typing.

I do not know if you have ever used WSR, but once you've trained it, it is a
little diamond of a program and very handy.

Forgive me for leading you up the garden path lol, I did not mean to.

W.

When you are typing and you put the "full stop" in after a sentence, as long
as you do not press the space bar but just carry on writing after that
sentence, the next sentence should automatically start two spaces after the
previous one.