Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amanda_P Amanda_P is offline

Default Highlighting to delete text no longer works

Normally when I highlight a portion of text and start typing, the highlighted
portion is deleted and my new text is inserted in place of the deleted text.
I must have accidentally struck keys in a pattern to remove this process...
or something else strange happened. Late last week this "feature" stopped
working. Now when I highlight text and start typing, the new text is inserted
in front of the text I wanted to delete and nothing is deleted. Any ideas to
fix this?

(Another thing is that the flashing bar to indicate where my text will be
inserted in a body of text is now really tiny... not sure if this is a
related issue.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Amanda_P" wrote:

Normally when I highlight a portion of text and start typing, the highlighted
portion is deleted and my new text is inserted in place of the deleted text.
I must have accidentally struck keys in a pattern to remove this process...
or something else strange happened. Late last week this "feature" stopped
working. Now when I highlight text and start typing, the new text is inserted
in front of the text I wanted to delete and nothing is deleted. Any ideas to
fix this?

(Another thing is that the flashing bar to indicate where my text will be
inserted in a body of text is now really tiny... not sure if this is a
related issue.)

Tools Options... Edit tab Check "Typing replaces selection"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amanda_P Amanda_P is offline

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Amanda_P" wrote:

Normally when I highlight a portion of text and start typing, the highlighted
portion is deleted and my new text is inserted in place of the deleted text.
I must have accidentally struck keys in a pattern to remove this process...
or something else strange happened. Late last week this "feature" stopped
working. Now when I highlight text and start typing, the new text is inserted
in front of the text I wanted to delete and nothing is deleted. Any ideas to
fix this?

(Another thing is that the flashing bar to indicate where my text will be
inserted in a body of text is now really tiny... not sure if this is a
related issue.)

Tools Options... Edit tab Check "Typing replaces selection"

Thank you! So much faster to ask the question than wander through the
program trying to figure things out.