Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cycling Dude Cycling Dude is offline

Default Removing section break following Index heading

I use Adobe RoboHelp to generate an MS Word document with an index. The index
is titled "Index". There is a Section Break (Continuous) following the word
"Index" which Word will not let me delete. Can anyone tell me why I can't
delete this section break?

Bob Boller
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Bob:

The section break is part of the index field. It's how the Index preserves
its formatting (number of columns, etc.). I don't think you can delete it.

For another perspective, switch to Normal view, right-click the index then
click Toggle Field Codes. Now you're just looking at the index field code,
and the "extra" section breaks should have disappeared along with the result
text of the index.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

"Cycling Dude" wrote:

I use Adobe RoboHelp to generate an MS Word document with an index. The index
is titled "Index". There is a Section Break (Continuous) following the word
"Index" which Word will not let me delete. Can anyone tell me why I can't
delete this section break?

Bob Boller

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Bob:

I had an afterthought: you could remove this part of the index field code:
\c "2"

That's what says the index should be in two columns. That might remove the
section breaks, but then you'd have a single-column index. You could add the
columns back somewhere outside the index field, but then you'd have a section
break again.

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

"Cycling Dude" wrote:

I use Adobe RoboHelp to generate an MS Word document with an index. The index
is titled "Index". There is a Section Break (Continuous) following the word
"Index" which Word will not let me delete. Can anyone tell me why I can't
delete this section break?

Bob Boller

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cycling Dude Cycling Dude is offline

Bear - I found that the style definition for the word "Index" had
Window/Orphan Control checked and when I unchecked it, I was allowed to
remove the section break. This, of course, resulted in the previous section
having two columns which I solved by placing a section break at the end of
the section prior to the index.

Bob

"Cycling Dude" wrote:

I use Adobe RoboHelp to generate an MS Word document with an index. The index
is titled "Index". There is a Section Break (Continuous) following the word
"Index" which Word will not let me delete. Can anyone tell me why I can't
delete this section break?

Bob Boller

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Bob:

That's might not be a permanent fix. If you update the index (F9) I'm
betting the section break will come back.
--
Windows XP, Word 2000