Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Patrick Patrick is offline

Default Create a document with distinct right and left columns (no wrap)

How do I create a document that has distinct right and left columns. Normally
the columns will wrap, for example, the bottom of the left column continues
onto the top of the right column and the bottom of the right column continues
onto the top of the next pages left column. I need two columns that remain
distinct throughout the entire document. It is for a a left/right
comparison/analysis axcersize.
Thankyou!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Seán Mór Seán Mór is offline

Default Create a document with distinct right and left columns (no wra

Well done Lene, you've supplied me with a simple solution to a problem I had.
I use a two-column page for writing bilingual documents, in which one
language is on the left, the other on the right. After a bit of working on
this from your post, I've now got a document template set up to do this for
me. I still would prefer to be able to select two distinct columns from the
ordinary menu bar, but this is an effective solution to an ongoing problem
I've had.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

You could insert your data in 2-column tables instead of ordinary columns.

If you want the data on each page to be separate: create one table per page,
each with 2 columns and 1 row.

If you create only a single table with 2 columns and 1 row and insert all
data in that table, the row can continue from page to page, still keeping
left- and right-column data separated. If the row stops at the bottom of the
first page even if you insert more data, select Table Table Properties
Row tab and turn on the Allow row to break across pages check button.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Patrick" wrote:

How do I create a document that has distinct right and left columns. Normally
the columns will wrap, for example, the bottom of the left column continues
onto the top of the right column and the bottom of the right column continues
onto the top of the next pages left column. I need two columns that remain
distinct throughout the entire document. It is for a a left/right
comparison/analysis axcersize.
Thankyou!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You can certainly insert a two-column table from the "ordinary menu bar" if
by that you mean the Standard toolbar.

http://word.mvps.org

"Patrick" wrote:

How do I create a document that has distinct right and left columns.
Normally
the columns will wrap, for example, the bottom of the left column
continues
onto the top of the right column and the bottom of the right column
continues
onto the top of the next pages left column. I need two columns that
remain
distinct throughout the entire document. It is for a a left/right
comparison/analysis axcersize.
Thankyou!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

A table has the advantage that if the two languages become out of sync
because one translation is significantly longer then the other, you can
simply insert a new row to rectify the problem.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP