Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChelleMeister ChelleMeister is offline

Default Select a Single Page (w/format) or Insert pages from external file

I am working on a Word document that is going to be sent electronically to a
customer. It's at least 150 pages long; some pages are in Portrait format
and a few are in Landscape due to the graphics included in these pages. (My
version is Word 2003.)

Upon reviewing the document, we need to insert a page in Landscape amidst
several Portrait, and as far as I know, my only option is to insert a page
break and select the Landscape format for that portion of the report forward.
This leads me to 3 questions:

1. Is there a command to select landsdcape for a single page? I clearly
don't want to have to go back through 150 pages and re-do all the formatting
because of a page I inserted at page 20. Currently, my only option is select
landscape from this point forward, then select Portrait from this point
forward for the next page, and go to the next sheet that needs to be
landscape and repeat the process through 150 pages.
2. Is there a way to select a single page? I imagine a process similar to
selecting a slide in Power Point. I have another Landscape page in this
Document and thought perhaps I could just select that page and copy it to
insert it as a Landscape page where I need one, but alas, that is not the
case. As far as I can see there is no way I can select an actual page to
move it...rather just the content on the page. Am I incorrect?
3. Is it possible to insert pages from other word documents? I currently
have two word documents that need to be combined. While I could click CTRL
A and copy and paste the content of one document into the other, there is
still the issue of the page formatting loss with the landscape and portrait
orientations. In Power Point, I can insert slides from other files with just
a couple of clicks...it would be great if I could insert specific pages from
one word file into another and have them look exactly the way they did in
their original file.

I'm not a fan of Word due to the restrictions and quirks it has, however I
have no choice but to use Word for this document (Customer's request). If
anyone knows a solution to the questions or issues I addressed, please let me
know.

Michelle
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ChelleMeister ChelleMeister is offline

Correction, I have Word 2000. I don't buy the software for my company, so
I'm stuck with this for now...

"ChelleMeister" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Default Select a Single Page (w/format) or Insert pages from external

Word is a word processing application and does not really see the €śpages€ť
such as PowerPoint slides, it is just that the content is long enough to
spread across a number of pages according to the page size applied.

1. Insert Section break at the start of your new lansdscape page, also add
section break at the end of the new section. Then apply Landscape for this
section only. Then the rest of your document will not change orientation. If
you are using Headers and Footers, remember to deactivate the €śSame as
previous€ť function for both areas for the new section and the section
immediately following.

2. You are correct. As discussed before as Word does not work in€ťpages€ť it
is not an issue of selecting a page, only the content that happens to be on
that section of the document. You could select the existing landscape section
and paste it into the place for a new section. Ensure that you include in
your ciopying selection both starting and ending section breaks.

3. As Word is based on Styles, copying content from other files can
introduce conflicting styles and hence annoying formatting issues. The
orientation does not necessarily affect formating but it obviously affects
layout issues. If you work with the section breaks your problems should be a
thing of the past.

Word is a very powerful tool for word processing and, like with every other
application, once the working procedures are learnt, very easy to use. Even
Powerpoint has its fair share of problems, it is a Microsoft application
afterall ;-)

Have look at the MVP site which has practically eveything a user needs to do
the simplest to the complex tasks within Word.

http://word.mvps.org/index.html

Dont give up on Word, once you learn to bend it to your will, it will start
behaving, honest.
Best of luck.
DeanH

"ChelleMeister" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Michelle -

At the bottom of the page before where you want the landscaped page.
Insert a Next Page Section Break.
Insert some material as a place holder.
After your place holder insert a Next Page Section Break.
Place your cursor in the placeholder material.
From the File menu, select Page Setup
Select the Paper Size tab
Change the Orientation to Landscape
Make sure it says Apply to: *This Section*
Click OK
You can now insert your landscaped material

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"ChelleMeister" wrote in

[...]