Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
George M George M is offline

Default MS Access Database via DDE Not connecting

I have a problem somewhat different from that posted by Laura on June 12,
2007. A friend of mine (systems engineer) created a complex database for me
to use in my business using Access 2000 with documents created in Word 2000.
Very complex queries refine the data for individual legal documents created
in Word. We have two front end databases with one data container, the latter
being in a separate folder on another drive somewhat like a simulated
client/server. A menu is used to input data and to select the document or
form to merge and print. The document or form is always in a read only mode
(giving me a €˜template so to speak) to prevent accidental overwriting of the
merge fields. We began using MS Office 2003 about 8 months ago without
converting the databases or documents to the Office 2003 format and all was
running fine under Access 2003 and Word 2003 until I had a recent major
systems crash and since backups failed as well, it meant I had to re-install
Windows XP and all programs including Office 2003. The re-install was done
after the most recent Microsoft security patch updates were also applied.
Now, when I run the menu and select a document to print I can no longer use
the €˜view merged data option because it is now grayed out. If I attempt to
run the merge by going to the folder where the documents are stored and
double click on a document, word starts, the €˜view merged data is available
and I can merge the data and print a merged document. I have to be careful
not to save it or my €˜template with my merge fields is lost. However, I
cannot re-attach the original data source which would allow the use of the
menu driven front end which protects overwriting the €˜template. I cannot
change the data source nor can I create a new data source. If I attempt to
create a new data source I will be presented with a list box of standard
merge fields from which to choose. If I select open new data source then a
dialog box of data sources opens and clicking on new data source (.odc)
presents me with a list box and if I click on €˜show all then I can choose MS
Access DB via DDE. Once I do that then I get two error messages:
€˜Unrecognized database format€¦new source.odc and €˜word could not
re-establish a DDE connection to MS Access to complete the current task. Two
instances of Access open and I cannot get to my queries. DDE is the preferred
method of data extraction since it carries formatted data forward and I do
not have to worry about formatting the merge fields. Would anyone have
suggestions to resolve this?
--
George M
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

While I do not like the sound of your system - the mail merge main document
should be template, not an ordinary document, there is a possibility that
the issue you are experiencing is being caused by the Security Patch that
causes the following message to appear when you open a mailmerge main
document that has a data source attached to it

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command ..." To see how to avoint
that, see the following Knowledge Base Article:

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"George M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
George M George M is offline

Doug,

Thanks, I will look at the KB article. We are looking at alternative methods
of connecting as well. The MDB's are all digitally signed so that may be a
problem as well. In any event will post back to the group how we resolve the
problem.
--
George M

"George M" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
George M George M is offline

Doug,

The KB article you mentioned I had already followed to eliminate that SQL
message and having read so many articles recently I had forgotten about it
when you posted your message. My friend seems to have found a simple solution
and that is always best! I will quote from his e-mail to me "I did try a
simple text export of the ExportCase query and did a mail/merge with Word and
it works fine. I think that is the best way to go because it stays
completely away from all security changes, inter-program operability issues,
etc.". Testing still has to be done but hopefully this is the final solution.

--
George M