Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FJ FJ is offline

Default what needs to be done to update references?

situation:
I am working on a WORD document and refer to the chapters by inserting
references using the menu "Insert" - "Reference" - "Cross-Reference"

then on the popup, I select "Reference Type" = "Numbered Item" and then in
the list below I select the chapter I would like to refer to

for example in chapter 4 (description of content), I describe what is
presented in chapter 10

next the situation occurs that I have to delete an entire chapter (for
example, I delete chapter 9)

RESULT:
in chapter 4, the text says "Chapter 10 presents ..."

EXPECTED:
I would expect an automatic renumbering and the line in chapter 4 to say:
"Chapter 9 presents ..."

The hyperlink does still work and leads from the "10" in chapter 4 to
chapter 9 !!!

QUESTION:
what needs to be done to correct the reference-content (that is: the
pagenumbers) after a chapter is deleted?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Select the entire document (press Ctrl+A) and then press F9 to update
the cross-references (as well as other fields). You may also want to
enable the option to "Update fields" on the Print tab of Tools |
Options.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"FJ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
FJ FJ is offline

thank you very much for this quick and effective help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--