Tom

Default Word Styles - keyboard shortcuts

Hello,
Since OfficeXP, the styles in Word seem to want to be selected using the
mouse.

In Word2000, for example, when changing the styles, I could simply press ALT
+ O, S (to activate the Styles from the Format menu), and then the first
letter of the style I wanted to apply - very efficient - hands don't leave
keyboard.

Now, in OfficeXP and Office 2003, this efficiency is gone - you must leave
the keyboard and use the mouse to select styles. Is there any way to go BACK
to the more efficient method?

Thanks,
Tom McCray
Jezebel

You can use ALT-O,S and the up and down arrows. And you can assign keyboard
shortcuts to specific styles, as you always could.Ctrl-Alt-1/2/3... for the
heading styles, Ctrl-Shift-N for normal, etc. (Been using these for so long
I can't remember whether they are built-in or my own customizations.)

"Tom" wrote in message
Hello,
Since OfficeXP, the styles in Word seem to want to be selected using the
mouse.

In Word2000, for example, when changing the styles, I could simply press

ALT
+ O, S (to activate the Styles from the Format menu), and then the first
letter of the style I wanted to apply - very efficient - hands don't leave
keyboard.

Now, in OfficeXP and Office 2003, this efficiency is gone - you must leave
the keyboard and use the mouse to select styles. Is there any way to go

BACK
to the more efficient method?

Thanks,
Tom McCray

Charles Kenyon

This works in Office 2003 Ctrl-Shift-S puts me in the styles drop down. If
you have a custom toolbar with the Styles window, though, you'll need a
macro to assign to the shortcut. The macro I use is:

Sub MyStyleDropDown()
' from Klaus Linke on newsgroups
' 2003 December 12
' Needed for custom toolbar - not built-in toolbar
'
Dim myCBCB As CommandBarComboBox
Set myCBCB = _
CommandBars.FindControl(id:=1732, _
Visible:=True)
If myCBCB Is Nothing Then
Dialogs(wdDialogFormatStyle).Show
Else
SendKeys "{ENTER}"
myCBCB.SetFocus
End If
End Sub

This moves the focus to the dropdown window and lets you type in the name of
a style.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Tom" wrote in message
Hello,
Since OfficeXP, the styles in Word seem to want to be selected using the
mouse.

In Word2000, for example, when changing the styles, I could simply press
ALT
+ O, S (to activate the Styles from the Format menu), and then the first
letter of the style I wanted to apply - very efficient - hands don't leave
keyboard.

Now, in OfficeXP and Office 2003, this efficiency is gone - you must leave
the keyboard and use the mouse to select styles. Is there any way to go
BACK
to the more efficient method?

Thanks,
Tom McCray

Jezebel

No, Alt+O, S will give you the Styles and Formatting task pane.

That's correct. Then you can use the up and down arrows to select the style.
The OP's request was for a keyboard-only method.

Charles Kenyon

But Ctrl-Shift-S lets you type the name of the style to select it rather
than use the arrow keys. Moving from the home rows of the keyboard to the
arrows is as annoying (for me at least) as moving to the mouse.
--

"Jezebel" wrote in message

No, Alt+O, S will give you the Styles and Formatting task pane.

That's correct. Then you can use the up and down arrows to select the
style.
The OP's request was for a keyboard-only method.

salliesatt

The CTL+SHIFT+S is much more satisfactory than the long way around that I
found in the Microsoft Keyboard Shortcuts Help (ALT, CTL-TAB to the toolbar,
TAB to the field or button). But once I am in the Styles dropdown, is there a
keyboard way to open the list and see multiple list entries at once
(equivalent to clicking on the down button)?

"Tom" wrote in message
Hello,
Since OfficeXP, the styles in Word seem to want to be selected using the
mouse.

In Word2000, for example, when changing the styles, I could simply press

ALT
+ O, S (to activate the Styles from the Format menu), and then the first
letter of the style I wanted to apply - very efficient - hands don't

leave
keyboard.

Now, in OfficeXP and Office 2003, this efficiency is gone - you must

leave
the keyboard and use the mouse to select styles. Is there any way to go

BACK
to the more efficient method?

Thanks,
Tom McCray

No, you can use the up and down arrows to display one style at a time, or
you can start typing the name of a style.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

No, Alt+O, S will give you the Styles and Formatting task pane. But
Ctrl+Shift+S, as Charles says, will still put you in the Styles

dropdown.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tom" wrote in message
[...]

Klaus Linke

But once I am in the Styles dropdown, is there a keyboard=20
way to open the list and see multiple list entries at once=20
(equivalent to clicking on the down button)?

Alt+Down

Regards,
Klaus

Klaus Linke

But once I am in the Styles dropdown, is there a keyboard
way to open the list and see multiple list entries at once
(equivalent to clicking on the down button)?

=20
=20
Alt+Down

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Thanks for that, Klaus. You can tell I don't use the keyboard for =

this!

I don't much either. If I'm in need, I simply know there is a shortcut, =
and try the possible combinations (Alt/Shift/Ctrl) until I hit the one =
that works...

;-P Klaus
salliesatt

Yes, I try "everything" too, but for the first time in years, I had lost my
trust that there would be a shortcut for every function, so I actually gave
up! :-)
I'm only in my second week of transitioning from Word 2000 to 2003, and my
faith in the design team is reeling as I stumble across the changed UI
landscape looking for the new homes of my old friends.
Thank you very much, Klaus.