Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jackie D

Default Keyboard typing odd characters

Does anyone know why when I select the " key the @ symbol appears, and visa
versa? (I'm using XP home and MS Office 2003)
--

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I managed to get something other than what I typed one evening. Artemis, a
lovely blonde tabby, thought I needed help with my keyboarding skills late
one evening. She was sitting on my lap while I was surfing at about 3 a.m. I
had a cup of milk and when I went to take a sip, she tried to convince me
that she would like a sip also. It didn't take much of that milk "remap" my
keyboard. (I went out the next day and purchased another keyboard.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You have probably enabled a UK keyboard layout.

so
all may benefit.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Does anyone know why when I select the " key the @ symbol appears, and

visa
versa? (I'm using XP home and MS Office 2003)
--

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jackie D

Hi Suzanne

It's the UK layout that I need - I'm posting from Britain. I suspect then
that I have the US layout. Do you know how I can change it? I've had a look
in Regional Settings but I can't see anything useful.

--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Does anyone know why when I select the " key the @ symbol appears, and

visa
versa? (I'm using XP home and MS Office 2003)
--

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jackie D

What a nightmare! That's why my three cats are banned from my office when I'm
working. And because their fur builds up inside the pc box after a time. They
have to be satisfied with attention when I'm done with work.

I think my problem has more to do with configuration. They keyboard is
new-ish.
--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Does anyone know why when I select the " key the @ symbol appears, and

visa
versa? (I'm using XP home and MS Office 2003)
--

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Hi Jackie,

In Regional Settings, go to the Languages tab and click the Details
button. That gets you to the dialog where you can choose the keyboard
layout to use.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Does anyone know why when I select the " key the @ symbol appears, and

visa
versa? (I'm using XP home and MS Office 2003)
--

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I see Jay has helped you. Sorry for the bum steer: I looked at your message
header, saw GMT -8 and figured you were in the Pacific time zone, forgetting
that you were posting through the Communities; of course Microsoft's server
is in the Pacific time zone!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You have probably enabled a UK keyboard layout.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Does anyone know why when I select the " key the @ symbol appears, and

visa
versa? (I'm using XP home and MS Office 2003)
--

Many thanks
JD

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I don't have a fur problem with my cats. I have the
head-butting-hitting-the-wrong-keys problem. I can live with that. =^..^=

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

I managed to get something other than what I typed one evening. Artemis,
lovely blonde tabby, thought I needed help with my keyboarding skills
late
one evening. She was sitting on my lap while I was surfing at about 3
a.m. I
had a cup of milk and when I went to take a sip, she tried to convince me
that she would like a sip also. It didn't take much of that milk "remap"
my
keyboard. (I went out the next day and purchased another keyboard.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You have probably enabled a UK keyboard layout.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.