Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MKeeg MKeeg is offline

Default See Data Source File and Location

Peter... I think what you've told me will be enough for people just learning
the mail merge. I just wish there was a button in the task pane where you
could click to "find target" of the data source or something similar. I
haven't seen 2007 yet. Maybe there is something in the new version. Thanks
for all info.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Not as far as I know - you can obviously drag the task pane to its maximum
width but that's about it.

In the system info dialog box you can select specific items and Edit/Copy
then Edit paste into e.g. Notepad, which may be more straightforward than
trying to organise the display so everything fits.

The only other ways are via VBA or another programming language, and/or
saving the file as a .htm, opening it as a text file and having a look at
the mailmerge data source info. near the top.

A word of warning: the data source filename does not necessarily tell you
anything about the "real" data source, e.g. if it is a .odc or .udl file.
The System Info box also provides the connection string which may be
informative to the more technically-minded, but not the Query String.

Peter Jamieson
"MKeeg" wrote in message
Thanks Peter. That worked, though I had to drag the header separator line
lot to see the whole path and file name. Is there a way to have text wrap
in
the mail merge task pane? That would certainly be easier, and enable the
entire path to be seen.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

You can always try Word Help|About|"System Info"|"Office 2003
Applications"|"Microsoft Office Word 2003"|"Mail Merge"

Peter Jamieson

MKeeg wrote:
In mail merge in Word 2003, how can you see file name and location of
the
data source if you forget what data source you are using? I know it
appears
in the task pane, but if the path is long you can't see the whole
thing. I
teach beginners so I don't want a Visual Basic answer please. Thanks.