Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
R R is offline

Default Using Tables in Mail Merges - how do I surpress empty rows?

I'm running a maiil merge which is bringing in data from excel.

I'm producing a mailing which will be a sort of statement for people
contained in the data.

I've set up a table on one of the pages which contains information about
their funds ie:
Fund Name Percentage
Fund Name1 FundRate1
Fund Name2 FundRate2
Fund Name 3 Fund Rate3... etc.

Each field is in it's own cell and each row is in a seperate row within the
table.

The maximum number of rows I will need is 10 but the problem I have is that
when someone has less than 10 rows of data, I end up with lots of empty rows.
Is there a way I can surpress table rows that don't contain data?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What you are trying to do is a "multiple items per condition (=key field)"
mailmerge which Word does not really have the ability to do out-of-the box.

You can however do it by following the method on the following website:

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"R" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

R,
If you data source is an Excel sheet, is formatted similar to this:

Client Name Address FundName1 FundRate1 FundName2 FundRate2 ==FundName10
FundRate10, etc...

"Client Name" field can be broken up in two (2) fields such as First
Name Last Name.
"Address" Field can be broken up in multiple fields such as Street
City State Zip

Create a Word document like this. I am using for this sample the simplest
field set up for Client Name and Address:

Your Company Header

Client Name
Address

**Text for your letter**

Then create a table with 2X2 Table:

1. First Row/First Column Type: "Fund Name"
2. First Row/2nd Column Type: "Fund Percentages"
3. In the 2nd Row/1st Column Insert from the Data Source:

FundName1 Enter
FundName2 Enter
FundName3 Enter
Etc.....

4. In the 2nd Row/2nd Column Insert from the Data Source:

Fund Rate1 Enter
Fund Rate2 Enter
Fund Rate3 Enter
Etc.....

This will leave a single blank line at the bottom of the table in Row #2, if
your client does no have 10 funds, which will be unnoticed, if you remove
the borders around the table.

Or create a table with 3X2 Table:

1. First Row/First Column Type: "Fund Name"
2. First Row/2nd Column Type: "Fund Percentages"
3. 2nd Row/Column "Empty" to provide space between header of the table and
the data in the table.
4. In the 3rd Row/1st Column Insert from the Data Source:

FundName1 Enter
FundName2 Enter
FundName3 Enter
Etc.....

5. In the 3rd Row/2nd Column Insert from the Data Source:

Fund Rate1 Enter
Fund Rate2 Enter
Fund Rate3 Enter
Etc.....

This will leave a single blank line at the bottom of the table in Row #3, if
your client does no have 10 funds, which will be unnoticed, if you remove
the borders around the table.

Sincerely Yours,
Your Signature

Rich/rerat (RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"R" wrote in message
I'm running a maiil merge which is bringing in data from excel.

I'm producing a mailing which will be a sort of statement for people
contained in the data.

I've set up a table on one of the pages which contains information about
their funds ie:
Fund Name Percentage
Fund Name1 FundRate1
Fund Name2 FundRate2
Fund Name 3 Fund Rate3... etc.

Each field is in it's own cell and each row is in a seperate row within the
table.

The maximum number of rows I will need is 10 but the problem I have is that
when someone has less than 10 rows of data, I end up with lots of empty
rows.
Is there a way I can surpress table rows that don't contain data?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
R R is offline

Thanks Rich.

I started doing it this way in the beginning. Just means it's difficult to
put lines between the funds if needed - they all appear in one box.

I managed to get round this by formatting the fields in a style I created
with a rule above the type. So it looks like a table but actually the
gridlines are part of the paragraph styling.

It looks okay - I'm just tweaking it at the moment.

I think I'm pretty clever at the moment but I'm yet to do the full merge so
watch this space and I'll tell you if it really worked.

"R" wrote in message
I'm running a maiil merge which is bringing in data from excel.

I'm producing a mailing which will be a sort of statement for people
contained in the data.

I've set up a table on one of the pages which contains information about
their funds ie:
Fund Name Percentage
Fund Name1 FundRate1
Fund Name2 FundRate2
Fund Name 3 Fund Rate3... etc.

Each field is in it's own cell and each row is in a seperate row within the
table.

The maximum number of rows I will need is 10 but the problem I have is that
when someone has less than 10 rows of data, I end up with lots of empty
rows.
Is there a way I can surpress table rows that don't contain data?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

That will not work in the way that the OP desires. If there are only two
funds for one record, the second row of the table will contain

FundName1¶ FundRate1¶
FundName2¶ FundRate2¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶

The OP wants to avoid having all of the

¶ ¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶
¶ ¶

The OP needs to tell us how the data is arranged in Excel. If there is a
row of data for each fund, then he will have to use a method similar to that
which I posted. If there is only one row of data with individual fields for
each fund and its rate, then he will have to use a series of
If...then...Else field constructions.

--

"R" wrote in message
[...]

Quick way to delete empty rows? Beth Brooks Tables 9 January 4th 08 06:45 PM
Empty Rows Disappears Skysurfer Tables 1 October 9th 07 07:00 PM
'Tables'- 2 columns,4 rows. Can you merge one column into 3 rows? CalMac Captain Tables 1 May 19th 06 03:27 PM
Mail Merge 2003 (surpress Blank Lines) Mr M Walker Microsoft Word Help 2 January 26th 06 06:05 PM
select rows until empty found David Tables 9 May 1st 05 10:52 AM