Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MACAVITY500 MACAVITY500 is offline

Default Mail merge

I have recently done a card index file by making a template and then merging
with a database. It was very successful! I now want to merge another address
book database with a different template but my mail merge helper decides not
to respond when I go to get data. i have made a nice template of how I want
the names and adresses set out but I cannot get word to open my database. Can
anyone help me as I have spent a lot of time making the database especially
for a mail merge. Why doesn't it like my database?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What type of database are you using? Is it one created from within Word
mailmerge? Or, e.g., Excel, Access, a Word Document?...Which version of
Word?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"MACAVITY500" wrote in message
I have recently done a card index file by making a template and then
merging
with a database. It was very successful! I now want to merge another
address
book database with a different template but my mail merge helper decides
not
to respond when I go to get data. i have made a nice template of how I
want
the names and adresses set out but I cannot get word to open my database.
Can
anyone help me as I have spent a lot of time making the database
especially
for a mail merge. Why doesn't it like my database?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MACAVITY500 MACAVITY500 is offline

I am using the Office 2000 premium suite so I have made the database in
access and the template in word using a table.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

By default, Word 2000 connects to Access data using DDE, which has to start
Access if it is not already running, then ask it to open your database if it
is not already open. If Access displays any dialog boxes during that
process, you probably will not see them unless you switch to the Access
application (e.g. Alt-Tab until you see Access + the dialog box). Meanwhile,
Word looks as if it is doing nothing, then eventually gives up.

Common things that will cause a dialog box to display are
a. if you have set up a login using password security or workgroup security
b. if you are tryuing to connect to a Parameter query in Access.

(There may be others).

There are several other possible causes (e.g. you may need to uncheck
Access-Tools-Options-Advanced-"Ignore DDE requests"). Also, there may be
a problem if you have modified Access to display a different name in its
Title bar. These all seem quite unlikely to me. If you are actually using
ODBC instead of DDE to open your Access database (which you would know
about) let us know.

--

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You initiate the merge from Access by selecting the table that contains the
data and then from the Tools menu in Access, select Office Links and then
Merge it with Microsoft Word.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.