Deej

Default Words added to dictionary should include possessive form

Ever since I started with Word 6.0 I have been annoyed that spell-check does
NOT automatically accept the possessive form of a word added to the
dictionary, especially for proper nouns. For instance, add the name Mischa
to the dictionary. Spell-check will flag Mischa's. The same problem arises
when you add a noun and try to use the plural form.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

I agree that it would be handy if Word would automatically add plurals,
possessives, other tenses, etc., but how is Word supposed to know that a
word is a noun (proper or otherwise) or a verb or whatever? If you added,
say, Michael (not necessary, of course, since it's already in the lexicon),
what would keep Word from excepting Michaeled (by analogy with Traveled)?
The lexicon includes Roger and even accepted "roger" but doesn't contain
"rogered," which, if it were being creative, it might thing should be
"rogerred," by analogy with "referred." I think you can see that, without
syntactic information, this type of "intelligence" is not possible.

"Deej" wrote in message
Ever since I started with Word 6.0 I have been annoyed that spell-check

does
NOT automatically accept the possessive form of a word added to the
dictionary, especially for proper nouns. For instance, add the name

Mischa
to the dictionary. Spell-check will flag Mischa's. The same problem

arises
when you add a noun and try to use the plural form.

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Jezebel

Perhaps that wasn't so much a suggestion as a colorless green idea, sleeping
furiously.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I agree that it would be handy if Word would automatically add plurals,
possessives, other tenses, etc., but how is Word supposed to know that a
word is a noun (proper or otherwise) or a verb or whatever? If you added,
say, Michael (not necessary, of course, since it's already in the
lexicon),
what would keep Word from excepting Michaeled (by analogy with Traveled)?
The lexicon includes Roger and even accepted "roger" but doesn't contain
"rogered," which, if it were being creative, it might thing should be
"rogerred," by analogy with "referred." I think you can see that, without
syntactic information, this type of "intelligence" is not possible.

so
all may benefit.

"Deej" wrote in message
Ever since I started with Word 6.0 I have been annoyed that spell-check

does
NOT automatically accept the possessive form of a word added to the
dictionary, especially for proper nouns. For instance, add the name

Mischa
to the dictionary. Spell-check will flag Mischa's. The same problem

arises
when you add a noun and try to use the plural form.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I

this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

how can i delete words from the dictionary delete phrases Microsoft Word Help 2 January 14th 05 05:37 PM
Word frequencies Anthea Microsoft Word Help 6 January 10th 05 04:46 AM
Word Count mel Microsoft Word Help 2 December 14th 04 10:17 PM
How are words in Office 2000 deleted from the dictionary? diane Microsoft Word Help 1 November 29th 04 04:59 PM
How do you delete words from the dictionary from Office 2000 Library Microsoft Word Help 1 November 29th 04 04:53 PM