Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Figbash

Default Word 2007 save / convert crashes

I have noticed that if I import a Word 2003 document and then convert (to
either .docx or .docm) then if it is above a certain length (about 60 pages)
Word 2007 crashes when I try to save the document.

Cutting the doc into two, converting each separately and then sticking the
converted files together works fine, so the problem is with the conversion.

This is also demonstrated, for I inslatted the compatibility beta for Office
2003 and yes, it crashes when trying to save a long converted document.

So, what's the problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Figbash,

Is this just one document or a group of documents. In opening and saving documents of over 4,000 pages (the MS Office OpenXML
document format spec, for example) I've not had it crash, but I have had it crash and recover on shorter documents.

Is this document one that started in Word 2003 or in an earlier version and then updated in 2003?

If you save as as XML or HTML, close Word, restart Word then open and resave the document as a .docx or a .doc file do you still get
the problem?

========

--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Figbash

Bob,

Replies interpolated below.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

Hi Figbash,

Is this just one document or a group of documents. In opening and saving documents of over 4,000 pages (the MS Office OpenXML
document format spec, for example) I've not had it crash, but I have had it crash and recover on shorter documents.

Two documents: one of 180 pages, one of 60.

Is this document one that started in Word 2003 or in an earlier version and then updated in 2003?

Both started in XP then updated to 2003.

If you save as as XML or HTML, close Word, restart Word then open and resave the document as a .docx or a .doc file do you still get
the problem?

Yes.

========
"Figbash" wrote in message ...
I have noticed that if I import a Word 2003 document and then convert (to
either .docx or .docm) then if it is above a certain length (about 60 pages)
Word 2007 crashes when I try to save the document.

Cutting the doc into two, converting each separately and then sticking the
converted files together works fine, so the problem is with the conversion.

This is also demonstrated, for I inslatted the compatibility beta for Office
2003 and yes, it crashes when trying to save a long converted document.

So, what's the problem?
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

Is this document confidential/private? Or in other words, can you share
it with one of us? This sounds like something Microsoft might want to
take a look at.

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

:

"Figbash" wrote in message ...
I have noticed that if I import a Word 2003 document and then convert (to
either .docx or .docm) then if it is above a certain length (about 60 pages)
Word 2007 crashes when I try to save the document.

Cutting the doc into two, converting each separately and then sticking the
converted files together works fine, so the problem is with the conversion.

This is also demonstrated, for I inslatted the compatibility beta for Office
2003 and yes, it crashes when trying to save a long converted document.

So, what's the problem?
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Figbash

Well, I'd rather not post them here, but if MS can give me an email address
and promise to respect my copyright then I'll happily send over copies.

:

"Figbash" wrote in message ...
I have noticed that if I import a Word 2003 document and then convert (to
either .docx or .docm) then if it is above a certain length (about 60 pages)
Word 2007 crashes when I try to save the document.

Cutting the doc into two, converting each separately and then sticking the
converted files together works fine, so the problem is with the conversion.

This is also demonstrated, for I inslatted the compatibility beta for Office
2003 and yes, it crashes when trying to save a long converted document.

So, what's the problem?
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

I don't know if you can get a direct email address from Microsoft to
send it to. All I can offer is that you email it to me (find my email
address on my website) and I will submit a bug report with the files
attached to Microsoft. I'd obviously respect your copyright and
Microsoft will only use the file for testing purposes.

Patrick Schmid
http://pschmid.net

:

: