blueklein76

Default Can Word have a toolbar for navigating bookmarks

I don't see any point in being able to define bookmarks unless you can
navigate to them quickly. I don't count "Ctrl + F, switch to Go To tab,
click on Bookmark, select bookmark name, click Go To" as being quick.
Couldn't find anything in the help to improve on this.
Can we have a floating toolbar that lists bookmark names, so a simple
double-click can move around the document. Alternatively, clickable icons
inside the vertical scroll bar (like the Eclipse Java IDE) to move straight
to the bookmark positions.

I'll save the loss of the fondly remembered F3 shortcut for "find again" for
another day...

(Word 2003)

Daiya Mitchell

Well, there are options for Find Next...

Introducing the Browse Object. If you click on the little round button
between the double arrows at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar, it gives
you a menu of some eight icons. Each lets you set the Browse object. Once
the Browse Object is set, clicking on a double arrow lets you Browse Next or
Browse Previous. Whenever you do a Find, the browse object is automatically
set to your Find, so that clicking on the down arrow will find it again.
You can assign a keyboard commands to Browse Next via Tools | Customize.

Tools | Customize should also let you set up a keyboard shortcut to go
directly to EditGoTo, eliminating one of your steps.

My doc doesn't currently have any bookmarks, I don't know whether doing a Go
To (which is one of the options for the browse object), then hitting the
double arrow will work the same way to take you to the next bookmark. Let
us know.

The point of bookmarks is not navigation but referencing, in my
view--bookmarks let Word do cross-references, build a TOC with accurate
pagination, etc. The name bookmarks is perhaps a little misleading.

For navigation, investigating Outline View may help, see here.
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...singOLView.htm

I have one click macros set up for Next Heading and Previous Heading. You
might be able to record a macro to cover bringing up the GoTo dialog and
selecting Bookmark, though I'm not sure.
See these links for more information about macros:

Creating a macro with no programming experience using the recorder
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/macrosvba/UsingRecorder.htm

How to assign a Word command or macro to a toolbar or menu
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...oToToolbar.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Jean-Guy Marcil

blueklein76 was telling us:
blueklein76 nous racontait que :

I don't see any point in being able to define bookmarks unless you can
navigate to them quickly. I don't count "Ctrl + F, switch to Go To
tab, click on Bookmark, select bookmark name, click Go To" as being
quick. Couldn't find anything in the help to improve on this.
Can we have a floating toolbar that lists bookmark names, so a simple
double-click can move around the document. Alternatively, clickable
icons inside the vertical scroll bar (like the Eclipse Java IDE) to
move straight to the bookmark positions.

It is just that bookmarks in Word are not specifically designed for
navigation as Bookmarks are in the usual Internet sense. They are also used
for cross-referencing, TOC building, field codes and VBA coding...

Have you tried double-clicking on the Status bar, where the number of pages
and section numbers are shown? You automatically get to the Go to tab, just
select Bookmark....
Also, Insert Bookmarks... Gives you the list of bookmarks, just select the
one you want and click on Go to. You even have the option of sorting them by
name or location.

To make access to this dialog easier, right click on any toolbar, select
"Customize..." at the bottom of the toolbar list. The "Commands" tab should
be selected. In the "Categories" list on the left, select "Insert", then
drag and drop on a toolbar of your choice the "Bookmarks...." command form
the "Commands" list on the right.

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

blueklein76

Thank you all for your quick replies! The answers for 'Find Next' are very
useful. I have to admit I've been ignoring the Browse Object, but I
understand the power of it now.

I hadn't appreciated that bookmarks are not for navigation, as that's what
the name implies (to me). I can get most of the functionality I'm looking
for (one click navigation to a specific page) using the Document Map. It'll
not be quite so quick once my document gets above 100 pages or so, but it's
still pretty good.

Thanks again,
blueklein76

blueklein76

Just re-read your post and noticed the bit about doing a Go To with the
Browse Object. The answer is that it does work - very well in fact.

Thanks for the suggestion.