AfterHours

Default Linking Multiple Excel Versions to One Word Doc

I have a Word document filled with Linked Objects from an Excel file.
However, the Excel file is just a template and I have many different versions
(all with the same tabs and graph names). I want Word to automatecally
relink to the same objects in the different Excel files, so I can cycle
through all the versions, and have each one display in Word. I am not sure
how the link works, but I thought just making each Excel file have the same
name and moving one into the folder and taking one out might work...or
over-riding the file....but nothing I have tried thus far worked perfectly.
There must be a solution!!

Thanks,
Jason
Shauna Kelly

Hi Jason

Depending on your needs, one way to do this might be the following.

If you do Alt-F9, you expose the field codes, rather than seeing field
results. If you do that to linked Excel charts, you'll see the path and file
name. You can then search and replace that text, so you could simply search
and replace the path names to change the source of the files linked to the
Word document.

Alt-F9 will toggle back to show the field results.

When you do that, do ctrl-a to select the whole document and F9 to update
all the fields.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

news

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Excel worksheet in Word linked text boxes Eduardo Oliveira Page Layout 0 January 5th 05 11:23 PM