Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default Can I control character overlap?

I want to create a title with the characters (letters) in different
colors and overlapping. I am able to get the overlap using the
character spacing, but each letter overlaps the previous one. I would
like to have the first overlap the second and so on.

Is there a way to do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Select a character, then use Format, Font and reduce the character spacing.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote in message
I want to create a title with the characters (letters) in different
colors and overlapping. I am able to get the overlap using the
character spacing, but each letter overlaps the previous one. I would
like to have the first overlap the second and so on.

Is there a way to do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 23:00:19 -0000, "Terry Farrell"
wrote:

Select a character, then use Format, Font and reduce the character spacing.

That's what I did, as I said. The result is that letter #2 overlays
letter #1 and I want it the other way around.

If my text string is ABCDE, I want the B to be behind the A, the C
behind the B, and so on. The result that I am getting is that the B is
on top of the A, the C is on top of the B, and so on.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Ideally, this would be done in a graphics app. To achieve it in Word, you're
going to have to use individual WordArt objects (or, at the very least,
multiple overlapping text boxes).

wrote:

Select a character, then use Format, Font and reduce the character
spacing.

That's what I did, as I said. The result is that letter #2 overlays
letter #1 and I want it the other way around.

If my text string is ABCDE, I want the B to be behind the A, the C
behind the B, and so on. The result that I am getting is that the B is
on top of the A, the C is on top of the B, and so on.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Klaus has given you a solution for Word, but Suzanne is correct in that
perhaps you need something a little more elaborate than Word can so and a
graphics app would be better. You can save it as a jpeg and insert it into
Word.

Terry

wrote:

Select a character, then use Format, Font and reduce the character
spacing.

That's what I did, as I said. The result is that letter #2 overlays
letter #1 and I want it the other way around.

If my text string is ABCDE, I want the B to be behind the A, the C
behind the B, and so on. The result that I am getting is that the B is
on top of the A, the C is on top of the B, and so on.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:04:24 -0000, "Terry Farrell"
wrote:

Klaus has given you a solution for Word, but Suzanne is correct in that
perhaps you need something a little more elaborate than Word can so and a
graphics app would be better. You can save it as a jpeg and insert it into
Word.

Terry

.. .
wrote:

Select a character, then use Format, Font and reduce the character
spacing.

That's what I did, as I said. The result is that letter #2 overlays
letter #1 and I want it the other way around.

If my text string is ABCDE, I want the B to be behind the A, the C
behind the B, and so on. The result that I am getting is that the B is
on top of the A, the C is on top of the B, and so on.

I ended up using Visio. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"Sesquipedalian Sam" wrote:
I want to create a title with the characters (letters) in different
colors and overlapping. I am able to get the overlap using the
character spacing, but each letter overlaps the previous one. I would
like to have the first overlap the second and so on.

Is there a way to do that?

Another way would be to use ADVANCE fields.

Greetings,
Klaus
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

Another way would be to use ADVANCE fields.

....say,
{ advance \x2 }b{ advance \x0 }a

Klaus
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 01:21:06 +0100, "Klaus Linke"
wrote:

Another way would be to use ADVANCE fields.

...say,
{ advance \x2 }b{ advance \x0 }a

Klaus

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't know about advance. Since I was
doing quite a few of these, that looked a bit too complicated.

RTF - Some Associated Character Control Words not working moredotnet Microsoft Word Help 0 November 21st 07 06:20 AM
keyboard character control kahleco Microsoft Word Help 1 June 12th 07 03:31 AM
How can I get letters to overlap? kdavo Microsoft Word Help 1 April 10th 07 07:26 AM
text overlap JPRose Page Layout 1 September 2nd 05 11:54 PM
How to overlap defined character styless Susan J-P Microsoft Word Help 4 August 31st 05 09:32 AM