Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
grf grf is offline

Default merged document does not contain menu item from original document

Greetings,
Is it possible for a merged document to inherit the customised menus from
the parent document or template? My 'master' document contains autotext
entries which I select from a menu item which I have created, but when I do a
mail merge to create a new document the menu is not carried over to the new
document.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You cannot store autotext entries in a document, only in a template. For the
entries will be available to a document they must be in the template the
document was created from (which must be present), in an add-in template or
in the normal template. For a menu to be inherited it too must be in the
template and not in the document. Mail merge by default bases new documents
on the normal template.

grf wrote:
Greetings,
Is it possible for a merged document to inherit the customised menus
from the parent document or template? My 'master' document contains
autotext entries which I select from a menu item which I have
created, but when I do a mail merge to create a new document the menu
is not carried over to the new document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
grf grf is offline

Default merged document does not contain menu item from original docum

Thanks for your reply,

From what you have said, I now understand that for a merged document to have
access to an existing 'custom' menu, that menu must be present in normal.dot,
as this is the template which mailmerge uses by default when creating a new
document. Is this correct?

Is there any way to tell mailmerge to use a different template when creating
a new document?

grf wrote:
Greetings,
Is it possible for a merged document to inherit the customised menus
from the parent document or template? My 'master' document contains
autotext entries which I select from a menu item which I have
created, but when I do a mail merge to create a new document the menu
is not carried over to the new document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Essentially you have the gist of it. You can attach the required template
after running the merge which should restore the macros and toolbars to your
merged document. eg by macro

With ActiveDocument
.UpdateStylesOnOpen = True
.AttachedTemplate = "D:\Word Templates\Template Name.dot"
End With

Change the path as required

or from the Word dialogs

grf wrote:
Thanks for your reply,

From what you have said, I now understand that for a merged document
to have access to an existing 'custom' menu, that menu must be

grf wrote:
Greetings,
Is it possible for a merged document to inherit the customised menus
from the parent document or template? My 'master' document contains
autotext entries which I select from a menu item which I have
created, but when I do a mail merge to create a new document the
menu is not carried over to the new document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
grf grf is offline

Thanks very much Graham, you've been very helpful.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Essentially you have the gist of it. You can attach the required template
after running the merge which should restore the macros and toolbars to your
merged document. eg by macro

With ActiveDocument
.UpdateStylesOnOpen = True
.AttachedTemplate = "D:\Word Templates\Template Name.dot"
End With

Change the path as required

or from the Word dialogs

grf wrote: