Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KT KT is offline

Default Word sends a handful, then freezes

I am trying to merge a Word document into an email and everytime I finalize
and send, Word will send a few (sometimes 100, sometimes 2) and then freeze.
I have Outlook and Word 2007 and since they don't send in order, I'm left to
cross check my "sent" box with my email list, which isn't fun when I'm
looking at 600 emails. Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you sending in HTML format? If so...

can you try sending in plain text format, even if that is just once, to
yourself? then try the HTML format send to yourself.

(Please see the conversation titled "Mail Merge Help" started by blackX on
24 Jul 2008, which discusses similar problems)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"KT" wrote in message
I am trying to merge a Word document into an email and everytime I finalize
and send, Word will send a few (sometimes 100, sometimes 2) and then
freeze.
I have Outlook and Word 2007 and since they don't send in order, I'm left
cross check my "sent" box with my email list, which isn't fun when I'm
looking at 600 emails. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jim Baker Jim Baker is offline

I have the same problem exactly. Vista Business / Word2007 / Excel2007
/Outlook2007 (Office Pro). OS and Office are constantly patched. I've tried
Doc and Docx format, HTML and text, XLS and XLSX. Rebooting after saving the
final version of the document. Restarting Outlook... every combination I can
think of. Sometimes it works perfectly -so smooth and quick that I can
hardly believe it. But most times it freezes - no error message, just "not
responding" - and once it does that, getting the remainder of the list is
painful with continuing freeze / kill / recover / save / restart / retry...
Nothing that I can pinpoint as a common factor. I've done it with only the
two programs running, no firewall, no AV, etc to minimize chance of
interference. It is simply unreliable... but SO SLICK when it works that I
just have to keep trying. Any advice? I'd be more than happy to try
anything.

Jim B

"KT" wrote:

I am trying to merge a Word document into an email and everytime I finalize
and send, Word will send a few (sometimes 100, sometimes 2) and then freeze.
I have Outlook and Word 2007 and since they don't send in order, I'm left to
cross check my "sent" box with my email list, which isn't fun when I'm
looking at 600 emails. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] Cathy.Allington@yougrow.com.au is offline

There are 2 possible causes of this that I am aware of:
1. Are you using Norton Anti Virus? This is shocking with mail merge
to email, and does exactly that. You are better off uninstalling
Norton and installing something else.
2. Your ISP may have imposed a sending limit - our main ISP in
Australia has an arbitary limit allowing users to send only 20 emails
in any 10 minute period. Check with your ISP

"KT" wrote in message

I am trying to merge a Word document into an email and everytime I finalize
and send, Word will send a few (sometimes 100, sometimes 2) and then
freeze.
I have Outlook and Word 2007 and since they don't send in order, I'm left
cross check my "sent" box with my email list, which isn't fun when I'm
looking at 600 emails. Please help!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you kidding

Kind of :-) I actually meant to reference the thread next to one of blackX's
started by VUemily I think.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"KT" wrote in message
I am trying to merge a Word document into an email and everytime I
finalize
and send, Word will send a few (sometimes 100, sometimes 2) and then
freeze.
I have Outlook and Word 2007 and since they don't send in order, I'm
left
cross check my "sent" box with my email list, which isn't fun when I'm
looking at 600 emails. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

FWIW in the thread started by MILO on 15 Sep 2008 on this general subject,
MILO mentions that merely installing the (pay-for) mapilabs mail merge tools
software fixed this problem.

I'm wondering whether the reason I do not experience this problem is because
I use Exchange Server whose store and transport bypasses the MAPI spooler (I
am told).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"KT" wrote in message
I am trying to merge a Word document into an email and everytime I
finalize
and send, Word will send a few (sometimes 100, sometimes 2) and then
freeze.
I have Outlook and Word 2007 and since they don't send in order, I'm
left
cross check my "sent" box with my email list, which isn't fun when I'm
looking at 600 emails. Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
tumblingDice tumblingDice is offline

This problem came up in Microsoft 2007/Vista. There is one "bug" I found. The
default for Word mailmerge is "merge to letter". You need to change it to
"e-mail messages". To do this;

1. Open the mail merge template you are going to use in Word 2007.
1. Go to the Mailings tab. Choose "Start Mail Merge".
2. in the pull down, choose "e-mail messages".
3. Save your mail-merge template so it stays permanent.

Do this for every template that you want to merge to email.
This templates I used are html format. (myTemplate.html).
This stopped it from hanging. Hopefully next week it will
still work!