Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jill Jill is offline

Default Line Numbering and the Normal View

I think I know the answer but it never hurts to ask. I have several users
who "want" to see their line numbers when in the normal view. Understanding
how "stories" work in word - I suspect this is not possible, but hope that
there is some programming code or third party that has come up with
something. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
--
Jill
Training Manager
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

No, the line numbering that Word adds when you select Line Numbers... in
Page Setup cannot be viewed in Normal view, nor can the line numbers used by
the Pleading Wizard (which are just numbers in a text box anchored to the
header.

There may be a way around this, though, if users are using Word 2003. If
they are using Normal view to get a continuous view of the text, they could
switch to Print Layout view, in which they could see the line numbers, and
use Hide White Space to suppress the headers and footers. That works only
for Word's built-in line numbering, however, as anything in the header or
footer (including the line numbers in a text box) is hidden when white space
is suppressed.

Alternatively, have they considered just using the line numbers in the
status bar? These are accurate for a given page (not continuous throughout
the document, however).