Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Toolfriend

Default File Association in Office 2007

Hi,

I am using Office 2007 Beta and also have Office 2003 on my computer. I am
trying to change the file association to 2007. In WE on file types there is
no listing for the 2007 beta program. There is a listing for Word but only
2003. I am unable to locate the 2007 programs to change the association. Can
you advise.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton

You can go to Start/Run, click the Browse button and navigate to the
Office 2007 installation files and location Winword.exe. Then back on
the Run command, add a space after the path and /r. It would look
something like:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12\WINWORD.EXE" /r

In the past this using to re-register only Word but now it appears to
recreate all of the Office 2007 registry entries including the file
associations.

BUT, the next time you start an Office 2003 application it will take
ownership of the file associations again. Although, I cancel Windows
Installer to prevent it from happening.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Toolfriend" wrote in message
Hi,

I am using Office 2007 Beta and also have Office 2003 on my
computer. I am
trying to change the file association to 2007. In WE on file types
there is
no listing for the 2007 beta program. There is a listing for Word
but only
2003. I am unable to locate the 2007 programs to change the
association. Can
you advise.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid

BUT, the next time you start an Office 2003 application it will take
ownership of the file associations again. Although, I cancel Windows
Installer to prevent it from happening.

This only applies to Word 2003. Excel and PPT 2003 won't take ownership
back. Microsoft has acknowledged this as a bug in 2007 already.

Patrick Schmid
http://pschmid.net