Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
FrazzledNovice FrazzledNovice is offline

Default Readable Font for Body Text Newsletter

I'm editing a newsletter that will be distributed via both snail mail and
email.

It is a "full newsletter" with lots of articles. It will have two columns
on paper 8.5 by 11.

I'm pretty sure I want to go with Verdana. What size? 10, 9 or 9.5?

Any suggestions.

Thx
--
Windows-XP
Microsoft Works
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Verdana is an excellent screen font that also prints reasonably well and is
available on the majority of computers. It displays well especially at
smaller sizes (which was the aim of its design.) If the majority of the
Newsletter goes out in printed form, I would consider perhaps using a font
that is designed more for printing, but Verdana is still an easy to read
font even on paper. If you are using two columns, then the slightly smaller
size may 'fit' better, but make sure not to have lines of text too close as
it doesn't help readability. For 9 pt Verdana, set the line spacing to At
Least 13 pt. If you Justify the text, make sure to set the Compatibility
option, 'Do full justification like WordPerfect 5.x for Windows'.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"FrazzledNovice" wrote in message
I'm editing a newsletter that will be distributed via both snail mail and
email.

It is a "full newsletter" with lots of articles. It will have two columns
on paper 8.5 by 11.

I'm pretty sure I want to go with Verdana. What size? 10, 9 or 9.5?

Any suggestions.

Thx
--
Windows-XP
Microsoft Works
Word 2002

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Do note that unless you are submitting the e-mailed newsletter as an
attachment (preferably as PDF) you have no control whatsoever over how it is
viewed on the recipient's system. Note also that html email and Word
documents have entirely different formatting requirements, the most obvious
of which is that html does not support pages in a document.