-Steve-Krause-

Default TOC - change depth in some sections?

I have formatted a document using:
1 Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.1.1 Heading 3
and
Body Text
Body Text 2
Body Text 3

For most of the 1.1 Heading 2's I use a one or two word heading and then I
use Body Text 2 for a paragraph below the heading for text.

But in a few of the 1.1 Headings I want the numbering that heading provides
in the main document but I have a paragraph's worth of text following the
numbering rather than a couple word heading. I don't want that stuff in
the Table of Contents. I only want to see 1 Heading (not the 1.1 Heading)
for that section, not the 1.1 Heading and all the text that followed it.

How can I do this?

SteveK

SteveK

It seems that's not exactly what I am looking for. That article (thanks for
the pointer as it is interesting) describes how to control putting just some
sections of the paragraph into the TOC and shows how to hide the
autonumbering in the main part (the stuff following the TOC) of the document
that the Heading provides.
I sort of want the opposite. I want the autonumber to show in the main part
but have it not show up in a few of the sections of the TOC.

From the example on the first page of the document in that link you provided
me, I want the TOC to show

1. This Is a Heading
1.1 Then You Have a Heading

without showing the "But now you want...." third level in the TOC. for
that section 1. I could just show two levels of depth in the table of
contents but then I would lose the depth of any of the other sections where
I might want to be showing Heading levels 3 or 4 or deeper.

Let me give a further example:

In the body of the document:
1. Color
1.1 Blue
Blue is used to show the sky.
1.2 Red
Red is used to show kdfa;lsdfj
1.3 Yellow
Yellow is used to adlfj;asldfja;lsdfj;alkjf.
2. Policies
2.1 Always select from the color list. With lots of text following this.
This 3.1 section might be five lines of text.
2.2 Get approval before submitting. Same for this. lots of descriptive
text.
2.3 Allow time for part order. Same for this.
3. Materials
3.1 Wood
Use wood when the asldfj;aslkj .
3.2 Plastic
Use plastic when aslkdfj;alskdfa;lskdf.

In the TOC:
1. Color
1.1 Blue
1.2 Red
1.3 Yellow
2. Policies
3. Materials
3.1 Wood
3.2 Plastic

I am looking for a way to limit what ends up in the TOC and at the same time
use the autonumbering that Headings provide in the body of the document in
case I have to add a section.

I suspect I am missing something.

Steve

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/RunInSidehead.htm

so
all may benefit.

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

If I am understanding correctly....eg you want some Heading 3 lines to show
up in the TOC, but not all of them.

Word puts text in a TOC if it has an outline level (set under Format |
Paragraph). You can manually remove the outline level from the sections you
don't want to show (actually, you set the outline level to "body text,"
rather than removing it).

Another option might be to have duplicate Heading 3 styles, one with an
outline level of 3, one without, but I suspect that would not work with
numbering. Not sure, though.

DM

On 1/25/05 11:48 AM, "SteveK" wrote:

It seems that's not exactly what I am looking for. That article (thanks for
the pointer as it is interesting) describes how to control putting just some
sections of the paragraph into the TOC and shows how to hide the
autonumbering in the main part (the stuff following the TOC) of the document
that the Heading provides.
I sort of want the opposite. I want the autonumber to show in the main part
but have it not show up in a few of the sections of the TOC.

From the example on the first page of the document in that link you provided
[...]

I don't think you can change the outline levels of the built-in heading
styles, and a duplicate style would not have a place in the outline-numbered
list.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

From the example on the first page of the document in that link you

provided
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

On 1/25/05 3:44 PM, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I don't think you can change the outline levels of the built-in heading
styles, and a duplicate style would not have a place in the outline-numbered
list.

Nope, sure can't. Shoulda checked that.

In that case, Steve, perhaps you should build your TOC with TC fields, which
lets you mark each heading individually for inclusion in the TOC. A little
more work--but actually, probably about equivalent to manually removing the
outline level from the headings you didn't want.

The link you received earlier will tell you how to use TC fields. We appear
to have gone in circles. Am I missing something?

However, TC fields don't appear to pick up direct numbering--will they pick
up style-based numbering? (Suzanne?)

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

SteveK

In the meantime I decided to bite the bullet and write that part of the
document with headings for the descriptive text that follows it, in the same
way that I've written the rest of the doc.

This TC field stuff looks interesting but as you are pointing out (I think)
(and not having yet tried it to find out on my own) you can add TC fields to
most of the Heading and Body stuff to make it visible in the TOC but you
can't by default have most of the Heading and Body stuff visible in the body
of the document and only add TC fields to stuff you want to make not
visible. True.

--(by the way, what is the official term for the main stuff outside the TOC?
"Body" seems like it could be confused with the other definition of Body
that goes along with Heading in Styles.)

Steve

..

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Daiya Mitchell

On 1/25/05 5:11 PM, "SteveK" wrote:

In the meantime I decided to bite the bullet and write that part of the
document with headings for the descriptive text that follows it, in the same
way that I've written the rest of the doc.

This TC field stuff looks interesting but as you are pointing out (I think)
(and not having yet tried it to find out on my own) you can add TC fields to
most of the Heading and Body stuff to make it visible in the TOC but you
can't by default have most of the Heading and Body stuff visible in the body
of the document and only add TC fields to stuff you want to make not
visible. True.

You can tell Word to build the TOC from Heading 1, Heading 2, and TC fields
together, to minimize how many TC fields you need to add. Use settings in
the Options dialog (from the Insert | Index and Tables dialog).

You could probably also build your own set of numbered styles (and not use
the built-in ones) which would then allow you to remove the outline level
for certain headings. But I wouldn't advise it, because numbering is very
tricky. The outline level is also useful for things other than the TOC.

--(by the way, what is the official term for the main stuff outside the TOC?
"Body" seems like it could be confused with the other definition of Body
that goes along with Heading in Styles.)

I generally call it main text. Body text would also work, since Word's use
of Body Text as a style name and outline level is generally going to concur
with your use of it to refer to the main text.

DM