Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wallace Wallace is offline

Default Versions

We still use Versions in Word 2003, but on a limited basis. Currenty we have
a large (400+) page document to which 6 or 7 authors/reviewers are
contributing and for which an electronic trail of who did what and when is
essential.

We want to work around Versions' notorious ability to corrupt files by at
the end of each work day accepting/deleting all changes and saving to a new
filename. That way the next day's version will be saved to a new file but the
electronic trail from the earlier documents will remain intact.

Question: will this tactic work, or are we better off abandoning Versions
altogether?
The difficulty with that, though, is document management will become next to
impossible. Thanks.
--
Wallace
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Wallace,

Periodically saving a copy with all the latest tracked changes, then copying this to a new file & accepting all the changes before
continuing will certainly work. It just takes a bit of discipline and a version-tracking scheme that you can apply to the file
naming.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

Versions joshuasq Microsoft Word Help 2 July 20th 07 12:44 AM
Word '07 versions... Max Microsoft Word Help 3 June 3rd 06 04:17 AM
Versions Bevatron Microsoft Word Help 2 May 5th 06 03:29 PM
Doc Versions... Kaller74 Microsoft Word Help 1 June 29th 05 01:18 PM
Differences in various versions Max New Users 3 March 31st 05 10:53 PM