Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve K Steve K is offline

Default Email a Word 2003 file maintaining links to Excel file

After developing a link to Excel 2003 from Word 2003, is it possible to
maintain the link while sending the files in email? Do I have to somehow
package the files so that the link is maintained?

Also, if I can make the above work, is it possible to link to a specific
worksheet in the Excel file? And then to a set of selected rows?
--
Thanks.

Steve K
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?U3RldmUgSw==?=,

After developing a link to Excel 2003 from Word 2003, is it possible to
maintain the link while sending the files in email? Do I have to somehow
package the files so that the link is maintained?

This would only be possible if the recipient sets up the exact same folder
hierarchy on his machine for the Excel file and copies it to that folder
(before opening the Word document). Then the link in the Word document
should find it.

The LINK field in Word does NOT support any kind of relative path.

You could ask the recipient to edit the link (or the link field), but I'd
think that would be more hassle than requiring him to create a folder...

Also, if I can make the above work, is it possible to link to a specific
worksheet in the Excel file? And then to a set of selected rows?

Certainly. A link is always set up to a specific range in an Excel
workbook. But you have to remember that the entire contents of the workbook
are always available through the link, no matter what it points to,
specifically.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org