Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julia Julia is offline

Default Word standard letter with table to enter name/address/date etc

I have a standard letter that I use and want to make it so that when I open
the document a table pops up first and I fill in a set of parameters (ie.
name, address, date) and then when I click OK it is filled in the document -
I've seen it before and have no idea what it's called, it looked a bit like
the properties table. I know it's a lot like mailmerge but that's not what I
want as I'll be sharing this document with low-tech colleagues. Any tips on
what this is called and how I set it up?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear Bear is offline

Julia:

There are lots of ways to do this, and I hope others will offer some
suggestions.

The way I'd do it is with document properties. In Word 2000 I start by
clicking File Properties. There are several properties on the Summary tab.
I can also click the Custom tab, and create as many custom properties as I
need.

To put the value of a custom property in the body of the document, I insert
a DOCPROPERTY field, using Insert Field. When creating the field, I just
have to click Options, then select and add the name of the custom property.

If you can count on your authors remembering to open the Properties dialog
and setting the values, you're done. If you want an automatic display, that's
a little harder.

Bear