justindula

Default How do I create an index that includes chapter numbers?

I have created a master document and subdocuments for a fairly large
document. The pages are numbered using the chapter number-page number format
(e.g. Chapter 6 page 7 is numbered 6-7). I am trying to create an index that
includes the chapter number in the format. The only number that is coming up
is the page number, not the chapter number portion. This is of course
confusing to readers.

Is there a way to create an index with this format of page number
automatically? If so, how?

Klaus Linke

Hi Justin,

As far as I know this only works if the chapters are numbered using SEQ =
fields ({ SEQ chapter }).
Then you can use the switch "\s chapter" in your index.
The default for the separator is the hyphen -- just as you want anyway.
For another separator, you could use the -d switch.

The help on the INDEX field has another example.

For the more commonly used outline numbering in the heading styles, or =
for LISTNUM fields, there doesn't seem to be a solution.=20

Regards,
Klaus

"justindula" wrote:
I have created a master document and subdocuments for a fairly large=20
document. The pages are numbered using the chapter number-page number =

format=20
(e.g. Chapter 6 page 7 is numbered 6-7). I am trying to create an =

index that=20
includes the chapter number in the format. The only number that is =

coming up=20
is the page number, not the chapter number portion. This is of course =

confusing to readers. =20
=20
Is there a way to create an index with this format of page number=20
automatically? If so, how?=20

How do I create a style that includes text? Linda C. Microsoft Word Help 3 March 2nd 05 07:28 AM
How do I create dot leaders in creating an Index page? Lucy Microsoft Word Help 5 December 24th 04 05:38 PM
How do I create an index using paragraph numbers instead of page . Index by paragraph Microsoft Word Help 1 December 16th 04 10:35 PM
Create Index Rob Microsoft Word Help 1 December 1st 04 11:43 PM
how to create an index of alphabetical names? lumi Microsoft Word Help 1 November 25th 04 07:40 PM