Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LAMP90 LAMP90 is offline

Default Avery Label Templates - Word 2007 - or, where are my gridlines?

Applies to templates for preformatted paper or to Avery labels or similar.

If you miss being able to see the "boundaries" of where to type text on a
template such as for Avery labels, here is what you need to do. Those
"boundaries" are called gridlines.

To bring them up:

+ Download and open your template. The only thing you will see is a funny
symbol at the top left of your form. That is a Table Anchor. You can play
with it later, if you need to.

+ Look on the ribbon toward the right for a Tab called Layout, and click it.
Should be under a, shall we call it meta-tab?, called Table Tools. A "new"
ribbon contents should show up.

+ On the left, in the Table section of this ribbon, there is an item called
"View Gridlines". Click it, and your "boundaries" will show up again.

Made this note as it took me close to 2 hrs and plenty of detours to find
out how to bring out the gridlines again. I was not using the magic word
"gridline" on the Help menu.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps it would help if you downloaded the Excel spreadsheet that tells you
where legacy commands are now located (Word command reference.xls). I click
on the "Table menu" tab and see that Table | Show Gridlines is at Table
Tools | Layout | Table | Show Gridlines.

"LAMP90" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was afraid you would ask that. The link has been posted here a few times,
but I haven't paid that much attention since I already had the spreadsheet.

Google helps, however. The online interactive reference guide is at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...744321033.aspx

There's another article at
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH100487431033
that has a link at the bottom to an .xls file that may be the one I have.

There's a download at
that may be helpful (but it still requires Internet access to be used).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Perhaps it would help if you downloaded the Excel spreadsheet that tells

you
where legacy commands are now located (Word command reference.xls). I

click
on the "Table menu" tab and see that Table | Show Gridlines is at Table
Tools | Layout | Table | Show Gridlines.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"LAMP90" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LAMP90 LAMP90 is offline

The link to download an Excel workbook with the legacy Office 2003 actions
seems to be this one:

http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...1 00625841033
As of now, I can just copy and paste (and "unwrap") this link, and I will
get an immediate prompt to download an Excel file.
This file is a workbook with a number of tabs: an Introduction, and then
each tab after that matches its Office 2003 menu bar entry: File, Edit, ...
Is that your toolbar? Can you upload your Excel workbook in some web
site you control?
Also downloaded the interactive guide, but I prefer a more "passive"
content, such as a workbook. Both seem to have the same content.
Thanks so much for all your references!
Still, I have to say that I hold onto my post. None of these resources go
deep enough in the menu to get to the (lack of) gridlines issue. I had quite
a few users that think Office 2007 is broken just because of these gridlines.
Frankly, I was surprised there was no posting addressing this specific
question.
But, thanks so much, all in all!

"LAMP90" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, that sounds like the one I have. What confused me was that the .xls to
be downloaded was not named "Word command reference.xls." Either MS has
changed the name of the file to be downloaded, or I changed it after
downloading, and at this point I couldn't tell you which was the case.