Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lpatt lpatt is offline

Default linked objects

I have a series of documents that contain lists of contact names and
information that I use as links in numerous document templates. This works
throughout my office except on my computer (Windows XP, Word2003; all the
computers in the office are on the same system). When I update the linked
object it becomes a .pic file rather than the .doc file that it is coming
from. When I insert the link in a document and another user on another
computer updates the link it converts it back to the .doc. (note this is a
problem because the picture that gets inserted is a full page rather than the
small text box that is intended.) Any ideas why this is happening and only
to me? Is there a setting that I should change? ugh! this has been a bugaboo
for me for almost a year, and I've just about had it!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?bHBhdHQ=?=,

I have a series of documents that contain lists of contact names and
information that I use as links in numerous document templates. This works
throughout my office except on my computer (Windows XP, Word2003; all the
computers in the office are on the same system). When I update the linked
object it becomes a .pic file rather than the .doc file that it is coming
from. When I insert the link in a document and another user on another
computer updates the link it converts it back to the .doc. (note this is a
problem because the picture that gets inserted is a full page rather than the
small text box that is intended.) Any ideas why this is happening and only
to me? Is there a setting that I should change? ugh! this has been a bugaboo
for me for almost a year, and I've just about had it!

Links in Word are managed by fields. If you press Alt+F9 you can toggle the
field codes. What is the exact text between the { field brackets }? (This will
tell us what kind of field we're dealing with and what options are in effect.)

You say "When I update the linked object it becomes a .pic file rather than the
.doc file that it is coming from.

How do you know it's a ".pic file"? Where are you seeing ".pic"?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lpatt lpatt is offline

this is what the field says in the document that does not work the way I'd
like (it results in a picture box being inserted that takes a whole page
{LINK Word.Picture.8"\\\\filename" "" \a\f 0 \p}

in contrast: in a document created on another computer, using the same
document link results in this field {LINK Word.Document.8"\\\\filename" ""
\a\f 0 \p}

I use the same method on each machine: Insert, Object, Create from File,
Link to file.

Oh, and did I mention that if someone opens one of these documents and
updates the link, it fixes it, and the picture turns into a word document
like it's supposed to be.

This has been a problem since I got this new machine this past summer. We
have reinstalled Word. I have looked and looked for a switch or setting, but
can't find a thing.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?bHBhdHQ=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lpatt lpatt is offline

here's an addendum to my puzzle: I can open a document that has the link in
it, copy and paste the link from one document to another and it works just
fine. ugh!!

"lpatt" wrote:

I have a series of documents that contain lists of contact names and
information that I use as links in numerous document templates. This works
throughout my office except on my computer (Windows XP, Word2003; all the
computers in the office are on the same system). When I update the linked
object it becomes a .pic file rather than the .doc file that it is coming
from. When I insert the link in a document and another user on another
computer updates the link it converts it back to the .doc. (note this is a
problem because the picture that gets inserted is a full page rather than the
small text box that is intended.) Any ideas why this is happening and only
to me? Is there a setting that I should change? ugh! this has been a bugaboo
for me for almost a year, and I've just about had it!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Default Microsoft Office Word 2003

I currently am running XP on my computer with Microsoft Office 2003. I am
now experiencing a problem with Office 2003. When someone sends me a
document in Word 2003 I receive the following error and that will not let me
view the document:
"You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of
Mircorsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening iin this version
by your Registry Policy setting."

I went to MS on line and downloaded the current version of MS Word Viewer
and it worked for a short period and now it gives me the same message as the
one above.

I would appreciate any help as to what I may be doing wrong. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:42:07 -0800, Karen
wrote:

I currently am running XP on my computer with Microsoft Office 2003. I am
now experiencing a problem with Office 2003. When someone sends me a
document in Word 2003 I receive the following error and that will not let me
view the document:
"You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of
Mircorsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening iin this version
by your Registry Policy setting."

I went to MS on line and downloaded the current version of MS Word Viewer
and it worked for a short period and now it gives me the same message as the
one above.

I would appreciate any help as to what I may be doing wrong. Thanks!

In Office 2003 Service Pack 3, Microsoft's update set that policy. The article
at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 has links to downloads, including one
for Word, that will remove the policy setting.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Karen Karen is offline

Thanks so much for your help. I struggled for weeks trying to figure out
what was causing the problem.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?bHBhdHQ=?=,

Oh, and did I mention that if someone opens one of these documents and
updates the link, it fixes it, and the picture turns into a word document
like it's supposed to be.

No, you didn't mention this. That's important.

This has been a problem since I got this new machine this past summer. We
have reinstalled Word. I have looked and looked for a switch or setting, but
can't find a thing.

My best guess would be that you have some third-party software on your system
that's interfering with the link updating through the document layers. If you
start Windows in Safe Mode, then test, do you get different results?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lpatt lpatt is offline

That;s not was I was hoping to hear, but I think you are right.

I do have an third-party program, the developer, of which, has warned that
his program might not be work seamlessly with Word links. We've been working
with them to fix their incompatibility problems. I think it's especially
curious that only my computer causes these errors.

I'll have to get to work with that software developer and figure out how to
get done everything I need to do. Thanks for your insight.

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?bHBhdHQ=?=,

Oh, and did I mention that if someone opens one of these documents and
updates the link, it fixes it, and the picture turns into a word document
like it's supposed to be.

No, you didn't mention this. That's important.

This has been a problem since I got this new machine this past summer. We
have reinstalled Word. I have looked and looked for a switch or setting, but
can't find a thing.

My best guess would be that you have some third-party software on your system
that's interfering with the link updating through the document layers. If you
start Windows in Safe Mode, then test, do you get different results?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

printing Linked objects Irish-woman Microsoft Word Help 1 November 7th 07 07:15 PM
linked objects mmaphq New Users 1 January 11th 07 09:28 PM
linked objects mmaphq New Users 2 January 11th 07 05:13 AM
convert linked objects to embedded objects ackerb Microsoft Word Help 5 April 20th 06 02:21 PM
Updating Linked Objects ang Microsoft Word Help 5 February 12th 05 03:50 PM