Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
emom emom is offline

Default Prevent Auto Update on Fields when opening document

Is there a shortcut key where I can disable all fields from updating while
opening a document? I have a date field that will change and we can't open
the file without it changing. I know some programs you can hold the shift
key down and it will prevent some things from loading. We have Office 2003
sp3.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Replace the DATE (or TIME) field with a CREATEDATE field, which
reflects the date the document was created: Open the document, and
press Alt+F9 to display field codes. Your date will appear similar to:
{ DATE \@ "MM/dd/yy" }. Replace the DATE (or TIME) part with
CREATEDATE, press F9, and then press Alt+F9 again.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"emom" wrote in message
Is there a shortcut key where I can disable all fields from updating

while
opening a document? I have a date field that will change and we

can't open
the file without it changing. I know some programs you can hold the

shift
key down and it will prevent some things from loading. We have

Office 2003
sp3.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Date fields are supposed to show the system date of the PC. Change the date
field to a createdate field and it will maintain the creation date of the
document. Put a createdate in the document template to avoid this in future
documents based on that template.