Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ian[_2_] Ian[_2_] is offline

Default Being selective about page numbering

I work with eBooks, and want them to use page numbering the way treeware
books use them, i.e. no page numbers on the title pages, or on the first
page of a new section (a new chapter).

For instance, right now I have a first page with the title of the book,
a second page with the name of the translator, than a third page that
begins the book. All three of these first pages shouldn't have a number
on them, as that's the way print books are done.

I've noticed that when setting a footer, you can choose to have a
different first page. This is fine, as far as it goes, but the second
and third pages (and all subsequent beginnings of sections--chapters)
have page numbers at the bottom, which looks really clunky.

Is there a way to force Word to only number what I want it to number? (I
suppose "force" is the wrong word, as it's like trying to force 2+2 to
equal 5. :-)) This doesn't involve those dreaded master pages, does it?
They're like Greek to me.

Thanks for any help,
Ian
--
http://sundry.ws/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You insert a section break between the unnumbered and numbered
sections, unlink the footers and/or headers, and put the page
numbering field(s) only in Section 2.

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...rontMatter.htm
for detailed instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 12 May 2007 00:06:24 -0400, Ian wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

And note one important point that may not be made sufficiently clear in the
referenced article: in order to *omit* page numbers in a given section (as
opposed to using a different style or restarting number), you must unlink
the header/footer from the corresponding one(s) in the section(s) before and
after, using the Link to Previous/Same As Previous button on the Header and
Footer toolbar (turn it off).

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In addition, start each chapter with a section break. Set that section
to have Different First Page. Delete the page number from the First Page
Header/Footer.

Once you have chapter 1 set up, it should be fine to keep the headers in
the subsequent chapters linked.

Selective MailMerge TonyJ Mailmerge 1 May 8th 07 09:02 AM
Selective Mail Merge C Brandt Mailmerge 3 October 14th 06 07:17 PM
Selective Merge Randy Hartwick Mailmerge 1 September 21st 06 06:16 AM
Selective printing Greg Microsoft Word Help 3 August 10th 06 12:29 PM
Selective page printing? Wraithchilde Mailmerge 2 August 9th 06 06:00 PM