Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Connie[_2_] Connie[_2_] is offline

Default From Word 2000 to 2003

So far it has been painless, BUT when you want to start a new document
2000 just popped a window up with the templates in it and you chose
and life was grand. 2003 on the other hand, makes you go to the right
hand side, select templates, blah blah blah. Any way to change this to
more like 2000?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Upgrade to 2007. Probably not the answer you wanted but...

I don't know a way to do what you're asking. That doesn't mean it can't be
done but 2007 does something similar (not exactly the same though) to older
versions.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Connie" wrote in message
oups.com...
So far it has been painless, BUT when you want to start a new document
2000 just popped a window up with the templates in it and you chose
and life was grand. 2003 on the other hand, makes you go to the right
hand side, select templates, blah blah blah. Any way to change this to
more like 2000?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Connie

You can add the traditional 'New' dialog to your toolbar. Right-click on any
Toolbar and select Customise. In the Customise dialog, select File in the
left hand list and then in the right hand (Commands) list scroll down and
look for New. Drag and drop it onto a Toolbar. Close the dialogs. When you
click on the button, the templates dialog will open. (I'm doing this from
memory and if I have got it wrong, Suzanne will jump in with the correct
command to drag and drop!)

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Connie" wrote in message
oups.com...
So far it has been painless, BUT when you want to start a new document
2000 just popped a window up with the templates in it and you chose
and life was grand. 2003 on the other hand, makes you go to the right
hand side, select templates, blah blah blah. Any way to change this to
more like 2000?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Connie[_2_] Connie[_2_] is offline

On May 13, 11:14 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Connie

You can add the traditional 'New' dialog to your toolbar. Right-click on any
Toolbar and select Customise. In the Customise dialog, select File in the
left hand list and then in the right hand (Commands) list scroll down and
look for New. Drag and drop it onto a Toolbar. Close the dialogs. When you
click on the button, the templates dialog will open. (I'm doing this from
memory and if I have got it wrong, Suzanne will jump in with the correct
command to drag and drop!)

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Connie" wrote in message

oups.com...

So far it has been painless, BUT when you want to start a new document
2000 just popped a window up with the templates in it and you chose
and life was grand. 2003 on the other hand, makes you go to the right
hand side, select templates, blah blah blah. Any way to change this to
more like 2000?- Hide quoted text -

It is the fact that I get no popup window when I select new. The new
document icon I know how to insert, etc. Is there a way to have a
popup window showing all templates rather than what now appears to the
right of the screen, and you have to select template, go to another
level, select, etc. I cannot open Suzanne's links.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The entire mvps.org domain is currently down. But, as I pointed out in
another reply, the command you want is FileNewDialog. It doesn't have a
built-in icon (button image), so you'll need to supply. One I just copied
the one from the New (FileNewDefault) button since I use the FileNewDialog
to replace that button (which I would never use). If you want to retain
both, you could paste the one from the New button and modify it in some way
to look slightly different.

"Connie" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 13, 11:14 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Connie

You can add the traditional 'New' dialog to your toolbar. Right-click on

any
Toolbar and select Customise. In the Customise dialog, select File in

the
left hand list and then in the right hand (Commands) list scroll down

and
look for New. Drag and drop it onto a Toolbar. Close the dialogs. When

you
click on the button, the templates dialog will open. (I'm doing this

from
memory and if I have got it wrong, Suzanne will jump in with the correct
command to drag and drop!)

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Connie" wrote in message

oups.com...

So far it has been painless, BUT when you want to start a new document
2000 just popped a window up with the templates in it and you chose
and life was grand. 2003 on the other hand, makes you go to the right
hand side, select templates, blah blah blah. Any way to change this to
more like 2000?- Hide quoted text -

It is the fact that I get no popup window when I select new. The new
document icon I know how to insert, etc. Is there a way to have a
popup window showing all templates rather than what now appears to the
right of the screen, and you have to select template, go to another
level, select, etc. I cannot open Suzanne's links.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

By coincidence, I had to install Office 2003 for someone this morning and
the command is now under All Commands and is called FileNewDialog. When you
drag and drop it on a toolbar, it calls itself 'Other' and has no icon.

Right-click on it and change the name &Other to something sensible like
&Template. Then I usually copy the standard File New button image
(right-click on New and select copy button image and paste it onto the new
Other command. Right-click on it again and select Edit Button Image: I then
use black colour to make a T on it to distinguish the New (document) command
form the New (Template) command. Finally, right-click and select Default
Style to remove the text.

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The entire mvps.org domain is currently down. But, as I pointed out in
another reply, the command you want is FileNewDialog. It doesn't have a
built-in icon (button image), so you'll need to supply. One I just copied
the one from the New (FileNewDefault) button since I use the FileNewDialog
to replace that button (which I would never use). If you want to retain
both, you could paste the one from the New button and modify it in some
way
to look slightly different.

so
all may benefit.

"Connie" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 13, 11:14 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Connie

You can add the traditional 'New' dialog to your toolbar. Right-click
on

any
Toolbar and select Customise. In the Customise dialog, select File in

the
left hand list and then in the right hand (Commands) list scroll down

and
look for New. Drag and drop it onto a Toolbar. Close the dialogs. When

you
click on the button, the templates dialog will open. (I'm doing this

from
memory and if I have got it wrong, Suzanne will jump in with the
correct
command to drag and drop!)

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Connie" wrote in message

oups.com...

So far it has been painless, BUT when you want to start a new
document
2000 just popped a window up with the templates in it and you chose
and life was grand. 2003 on the other hand, makes you go to the right
hand side, select templates, blah blah blah. Any way to change this
more like 2000?- Hide quoted text -

It is the fact that I get no popup window when I select new. The new
document icon I know how to insert, etc. Is there a way to have a
popup window showing all templates rather than what now appears to the
right of the screen, and you have to select template, go to another
level, select, etc. I cannot open Suzanne's links.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Did you read my answer at all, Terry?

In any case, it was FileNewDialog under All Commands in Word 2002 as well.

built-in icon (button image), so you'll need to supply. One I just

copied

Not sure what happened the it was supposed to be "you'll need to supply
one. I just copied..."

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Connie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

"Connie" wrote in message

oups.com...

So far it has been painless, BUT when you want to start a new
document
2000 just popped a window up with the templates in it and you chose
and life was grand. 2003 on the other hand, makes you go to the

right
hand side, select templates, blah blah blah. Any way to change this
more like 2000?- Hide quoted text -

It is the fact that I get no popup window when I select new. The new
document icon I know how to insert, etc. Is there a way to have a
popup window showing all templates rather than what now appears to the
right of the screen, and you have to select template, go to another
level, select, etc. I cannot open Suzanne's links.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Yes, but I read it after replying! I must stop smoking too much of that
stuff: it helps the arthritic knees but plays havoc with everything else!

[...]

"Connie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

"Connie" wrote in message

oups.com...

So far it has been painless, BUT when you want to start a new
document
2000 just popped a window up with the templates in it and you
chose
and life was grand. 2003 on the other hand, makes you go to the

right
hand side, select templates, blah blah blah. Any way to change
this
more like 2000?- Hide quoted text -

It is the fact that I get no popup window when I select new. The new
document icon I know how to insert, etc. Is there a way to have a
popup window showing all templates rather than what now appears to the
right of the screen, and you have to select template, go to another
level, select, etc. I cannot open Suzanne's links.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Given that you were replying directly to it... g

[...]

"Connie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

"Connie" wrote in message

oups.com...

So far it has been painless, BUT when you want to start a new
document
2000 just popped a window up with the templates in it and you
chose
and life was grand. 2003 on the other hand, makes you go to the

right
hand side, select templates, blah blah blah. Any way to change
this
more like 2000?- Hide quoted text -

It is the fact that I get no popup window when I select new. The new
document icon I know how to insert, etc. Is there a way to have a
popup window showing all templates rather than what now appears to

the
right of the screen, and you have to select template, go to another
level, select, etc. I cannot open Suzanne's links.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Connie[_2_] Connie[_2_] is offline

On May 14, 11:03 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
[...]

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org
so
all may benefit.

"Connie" wrote in message
roups.com...
On May 13, 11:14 am, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
Connie

You can add the traditional 'New' dialog to your toolbar. Right-click
on

any
Toolbar and select Customise. In the Customise dialog, select File in

the
left hand list and then in the right hand (Commands) list scroll down

and
look for New. Drag and drop it onto a Toolbar. Close the dialogs. When

you
click on the button, the templates dialog will open. (I'm doing this

from
memory and if I have got it wrong, Suzanne will jump in with the
correct
command to drag and drop!)

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Connie" wrote in message

roups.com...

So far it has been painless, BUT when you want to start a new
document
2000 just popped a window up with the templates in it and you chose
and life was grand. 2003 on the other hand, makes you go to the right
hand side, select templates, blah blah blah. Any way to change this
more like 2000?- Hide quoted text -

It is the fact that I get no popup window when I select new. The new
document icon I know how to insert, etc. Is there a way to have a
popup window showing all templates rather than what now appears to the
right of the screen, and you have to select template, go to another
level, select, etc. I cannot open Suzanne's links.- Hide quoted text -

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Both you and Suzanne were telling me
right, I just wasn't in front of my computer that has 2003 at that
time. It worked beautifully. Another question though. We used to have
a toolbar in 2000 that was generated from tables that we insert for
lab work. They were autocorrects and someone had assigned icons to
them and they were a toolbar. Can't figure out how to assign an icon
to an autocorrect.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Are you sure they weren't AutoText entries? Those are listed in the
Categories in Customize and can be dragged to a toolbar. You'd have to
create (or assign) your own button images, but the actual toolbar creation
would be a snap. There wouldn't be much point in creating an AutoCorrect
toolbar since AutoCorrect operates just by typing.

"Connie" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

. ..

The entire mvps.org domain is currently down. But, as I pointed out in
another reply, the command you want is FileNewDialog. It doesn't have

built-in icon (button image), so you'll need to supply. One I just

copied
the one from the New (FileNewDefault) button since I use the

FileNewDialog
to replace that button (which I would never use). If you want to

retain
both, you could paste the one from the New button and modify it in

some
way
to look slightly different.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

[...]