Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ANGEL ANGEL is offline

Default Form: Once simple now too complex

Sheeshh....what happened to the "simplicity" of Microsoft Products?

We are in the process of updating some previously created Word forms with
2007.
Once upon a time we could EASILY create a text box - noting instructions or
whatever, and simply note to "not print" the items. Now how do we accomplish
this task?

If in Design mode, the original boxes appear, but once in "live" mode, the
text disappears. Thus when we re-protect the form (to take advantage of form
field entry features), these text box notations are no longer viewable.

Seems like everything involves Macros and VB programming knowledge. What
about us "simple minded" folk? Everyone and their neighbor has to have a
degree in programming to use these products professionally?????

This thought to be "simple" task is becoming a royal pain!

Thanks in advance for any help you have to offer.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that you can still create the old kind of protected forms in Word 2007.
On the Developer tab, click the Legacy Tools button (in the Controls group),
and you'll find the familiar options under "Legacy Forms." Then use Protect
Document (in the Protect group); Word displays the Restrict Formatting and
Editing task pane. Click "Allow only this type of editing in the document."
Choose "Filling in forms" in the list box. Click the Yes, Start Enforcing
Protection button.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Angel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ANGEL ANGEL is offline

Appreciate your response Stefan. I am a LITTLE familiar with the Protection
options, but that has gotten a bit more detailed for me as well.

So, if I am hearing you correctly, you are suggesting I say....setup a text
box, as a grouped object which in turn I am able to set protection properties
to NOT print the text box?

I'm curious why previous version of Word I had option to set a text box to
not print, and it isn't that simplistic now. In turn these older documents
converted to 2007 still maintain the "no print text boxes", however you only
can see them in "Design Mode". Doesn't make sense to me.

"Angel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Hmm, I may have misunderstood your initial question.

What kind of "text boxes" are you using? ActiveX controls? I never use them,
so I'm not very familiar with them... :-( How did you set the "no print"
option in previous versions?

Note that ActiveX controls also can be inserted from the Legacy Tools button
on the Developer tab (on the ribbon).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Angel" wrote:

[...]

Word 2007 Simple (Or not so simple) List Numbering Greg Maxey Microsoft Word Help 2 October 20th 07 06:21 AM
Complex Scripts Tab Mkate Microsoft Word Help 9 January 16th 07 03:37 PM
Complex TOX Sher M. Microsoft Word Help 2 October 9th 06 02:11 PM
Complex Form Layouts Les Page Layout 1 September 12th 06 08:44 PM
Simple instructions for inserting a hyperlink in a protected form. Tamclook Microsoft Word Help 2 July 21st 05 06:13 PM