Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
g0nzo g0nzo is offline

Default Word 2007 BTR2 - few questions

Hi,

I'm finishing a larger document in Word 2007 BTR2 and got few questions:

- right now, when I'm adding a citation (numerical refernece), it is added
in round brackets i.e. "(12)". Is it possible to change them into square
brackets in the whole document?

- is it possible to add citation as a tag of the source? So instead of
numerical reference I've got now, it will print i.e. "[Sch02]" or "[Sch+02]"
etc?

- is it possible to somehow "group" heading + content? i.e. right now
sometimes it happens, that a heading i.e. "3.4.6 Something" is in the last
line of the page and the content is on the next page. I know I could just add
few new lines before the heading to move it to the new page, but maybe Word
has a feature to take care of such cases automatically?

- if I want to do 2 side printing, do I have to change something more than
set "Mirrored margins" option? Or is it enough?

Thank you in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

I haven't played with the citation feature since Beta 1, so I can't
answer those questions.
- if I want to do 2 side printing, do I have to change something more than
set "Mirrored margins" option? Or is it enough?

Generally, your printer is the one offering this feature. So you'd have
to look in the Properties of your printer (after you press Office
button, print, click properties) and see if there is a 2 sided print
feature anywhere.
If your printer doesn't offer this feature, then you'll have to do a
creative page rotating job yourself

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

In answer to your question about pagination, Word does have the
feature to take care of this type of issue automatically. If you are
using the Heading styles then by default they include a paragraph
format called "Keep with next". This will keep your heading and the
following paragraph on the same page.

However, if you are using empty paragraphs to create the 'space'
between paragraphs instead of using formatted space then you're
keeping the Heading and an empty paragraph together which circumvents
the 'automatic' capabilities.

In Word 2007 the dev team made every attempt to convey what you need
to be doing by setting paragraph spacing by default. If you created
the document in Word 2007 then I suspect you removed the spacing
between paragraphs and elected to use empty paragraph marks instead?

In any event, on the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, click the
dialog launcher (arrow in the right corner), and in the Paragraph
dialog box you'll find the pagination options on the Line and Page
Breaks tab:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"g0nzo" wrote in message

- is it possible to somehow "group" heading + content? i.e. right
now
sometimes it happens, that a heading i.e. "3.4.6 Something" is in
the last
line of the page and the content is on the next page. I know I could
just add
few new lines before the heading to move it to the new page, but
maybe Word
has a feature to take care of such cases automatically?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
g0nzo g0nzo is offline

Thank you very much.

Regarding 2 side printing - I was rather worried about too small margins
when binding of the work, rather than "creative page rotating job" But I
guess that's what "Mirrored margins" option is for.

I've changed styling a bit and it looks like headers now work correctly with
"Keep with next" option set.

The last question was about headers: I had Building blocks.dotx file broken,
so I didn't see any header designs built-in.
I fixed that, but I still don't know how to enter a header that would have
page number and a title of Header 1 (on different sides, depending if it's
odd or even page). Is it possible to do insert such headers starting i.e.
from 5th page (1st chapter), so that cover page and ToC won't have any
headers? How?
I've never used sections before and I suspect that maybe I should put each
chapter into separate section? However I'm not sure if and how to do it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

To clarify, when you 'fixed' Building Blocks.dotx did you delete it or
move it out of the folder so Word would create a new one? If you
renamed it that really won't work since any files in the Document
Building Blocks folder will be loaded.

Also, the folder your personal copy of Building Blocks is the one
stored in your profile in Application Data rather than the master copy
which is found in the Office installation path. The latter should not
be deleted.

If you preformed the above then you should have an updated copy of
Building Blocks. That being the case, then where you want your
headers/footers to begin, insert a Next Page Section break, found on
the Page Layout tab. If the headers and footers are consistent across
your chapters and if you want continuous page numbering then you don't
need a section break for each one. However many will include section
breaks anyway.

Then to create different odd/even headers, on the Header & Footer
contextual tab (right-click the Header and select Edit Header to see
this tab) in the Options group turn on "Different Odd and Even Pages".
At that point you should see either "Odd Page Header- Section #" or
"Even Page Header- Section #" below the header. Prior to adding any
content, turn off "Link to Previous" for both the Header and Footer
for the odd page header and the even page header. Note you can
navigate the various headers/footers using the Next Section/Previous
Section commands. (btw, these are not section specific - they should
have been named Next Header and Previous Header since they will allow
you to navigate all headers/footers.) Also note, if you added a
section break for each chapter and if you want different
headers/footers then you'll need to unlink the headers/footers for
each section as necessary.

Then, if you want to use a Building Block to insert an odd/even page
header they should be listed in the Header gallery. For the even pages
insert an Even Page Header and for the odd pages, insert an Odd Page
Header. Also, if you want to change the starting page number, for
example if you want page 1 to be the first page in the section, then
on the Header & Footer contextual tab, under the Page Number gallery,
you'll find "Format Page Numbers". Set the Start At accordingly.

If you unlinked the headers/footers then you'll need to add the
headers/footers for each section as well.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/