Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PTwriter PTwriter is offline

Default Numbered headings, TOC, page-numbering, template

Word 2007:
I am working on a manual that has chapters and appendixes. I am also trying
to create a template such that later writers can use the template and simply
select the appropriate styles for each heading.

I want to have numbered headings such that I can specify page numbering 1-1,
1-2, ...2-1,2-2, ...A-1, A-2, A-3 etc.
I created my own styles based on Normal, Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3 but
with different names and with numbering specified. When I use one of my
personal headings, they act ok in the text, but when I try to specify the 1-1
style of page numbering in the footer, the dialog says that my headings are
not numbered. The formatting of my heading styles recognizes that they are
based on the native Heading 1, Heading 2, etc, and that they are numbered.

What am I doing wrong? Am I REQUIRED to directly edit the Word original
Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3 styles to get what I want? What do I do,
then, when I want to switch to the appendix numbering (A, B, ...)?

I have used Word for many years, but have not dealt with numbered headings
before.

Thanks for any help and clarification.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Yes, if you want chapter-numbered pages, you must link Word's built-in
headings to the multilevel list levels.
See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html.

Pam