Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joanne

Default Edit recipient list

I seem to have lost the Address List dialog box!
When I use the Edit Recipient List link, click on the Edit button nothing
happens. I believe I should get the Address List dialog box but nothing
appears, is there something wrong with my copy of Word 2003.
Any advice appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9hbm5l?=,

I seem to have lost the Address List dialog box!
When I use the Edit Recipient List link, click on the Edit button nothing
happens. I believe I should get the Address List dialog box but nothing
appears, is there something wrong with my copy of Word 2003.

This depends on how you created the recipient list, to begin with, and what
you may have done to it since it was created?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joanne

Cindy
Thank you for your reply.
I am using an Excel Spreadsheet created in 2000 but currently being used in
2003. in Mail Merge in 2000 I was always able to edit the list from within
the Mail Merge but now I am using 2003 the Edit Recipient link seems not to
work. Are you suggesting this link only works on data sources created within
the Mail Merge and not with those created as stand alone data sources?

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Sm9hbm5l?=,

I seem to have lost the Address List dialog box!
When I use the Edit Recipient List link, click on the Edit button nothing
happens. I believe I should get the Address List dialog box but nothing
appears, is there something wrong with my copy of Word 2003.

This depends on how you created the recipient list, to begin with, and what
you may have done to it since it was created?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9hbm5l?=,

I am using an Excel Spreadsheet created in 2000 but currently being used in
2003. in Mail Merge in 2000 I was always able to edit the list from within
the Mail Merge but now I am using 2003 the Edit Recipient link seems not to
work. Are you suggesting this link only works on data sources created within
the Mail Merge and not with those created as stand alone data sources?

that's basically correct. It can be used with Word tables and text data sources,
as well. But not for external sources.

In Office 2000, the default connection method for Excel (and Access) was DDE.
This started up the actual application, so all the button had to do was bring
that window to the front. In Office 2002/2003 the default connection method is
OLE DB, which operates independent of the application interface (as a matter of
fact, Excel doesn't even have to be installed on the machine). So it's no longer
a matter of bringing the application window to the front.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Joanne

Thank you Cindy
Do you know if there is a way around this issue besides opening the original
document and editing it before the merge begins as this would seem long
winded. Have just upgraded to 2003 and have most data sources (word tables
and excel spreads) already created in 2000.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Sm9hbm5l?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9hbm5l?=,

Do you know if there is a way around this issue besides opening the original
document and editing it before the merge begins as this would seem long
winded. Have just upgraded to 2003 and have most data sources (word tables
and excel spreads) already created in 2000.

Other than retyping the data source? No, I know of no alternative. Although I'd
the Edit button to work with a Word table (it certainly does here).
Theoretically you could copy the Excel data to Word documents and use those as
the data sources (as long as there aren't more than 63 columns).