Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Martin

Default Newbie Questions

I am new to Word and have a few questions regarding "startup" of the program.

1) Is it possible to set Word to automatically load/use a template when
starting or when creating a new document? I have created a template, but the
only way I can use it is to go thru File/Open, then SaveAs my new document.

2) The background of my documents (on screen) are always gray. Is there a
way to change that background to white? I use gray backgrounds on text quite
a bit and it is difficult to follow if the entire document background is gray.

3) Is there a way to always display the header and footer of the page in
Normal view?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

1. Save your document as a template and use File | New to use it; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm. One way to
open Word with your template loaded is to create a shortcut to the template
and put it on your desktop. Double-click on the shortcut to start Word with
a new document based on that template.

2. The background (page, paper) of a Word document should be white unless
you have selected gray as your window color in Control Panel | Display |
Appearance. The area around the page in Print Layout view will always be
gray (this background is not displayed in Normal view, however).

3. The header and footer are never displayed in Normal view; if you are not
seeing them in Print Layout view, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

"Martin" wrote in message
I am new to Word and have a few questions regarding "startup" of the

program.

1) Is it possible to set Word to automatically load/use a template when
starting or when creating a new document? I have created a template, but

the
only way I can use it is to go thru File/Open, then SaveAs my new

document.

2) The background of my documents (on screen) are always gray. Is there

way to change that background to white? I use gray backgrounds on text

quite
a bit and it is difficult to follow if the entire document background is

gray.

3) Is there a way to always display the header and footer of the page in
Normal view?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Martin

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I am already doing what you are
suggesting. I was hoping to get more comparability to the word processor I
am used to using, which allows me to do all the things I asked about. Maybe
Microsoft should look into this stuff?!?

"Martin" wrote in message
I am new to Word and have a few questions regarding "startup" of the

program.

1) Is it possible to set Word to automatically load/use a template when
starting or when creating a new document? I have created a template, but

the
only way I can use it is to go thru File/Open, then SaveAs my new

document.

2) The background of my documents (on screen) are always gray. Is there

way to change that background to white? I use gray backgrounds on text

quite
a bit and it is difficult to follow if the entire document background is

gray.

3) Is there a way to always display the header and footer of the page in
Normal view?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

What word processor are you used to using, and why are you not using it?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Martin

I am used to Lotus WordPro and corporate policy is to use Microsoft products
(for some crazy reason). That is why I am trying to get a handle on Word and
see what is different or the same.